Brightwell Pureit

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I made a DIY hob Refugium for my 40 breeder LPS and Softy dominated tank so I can work on having an extra way to keep Nitrates and Phosphates low because I want to get into some easy Acros next month. I ordered Brightwell Pureit. I've read and heard great things about it. I haven't started using it yet. Also worth noting, I have hob equipment because I don't have space for a sump

My 2 questions are:

1) Can i run both pureit and Refugium together since they both work on nutrient export? (Don't want to strip the water completely as that'll also be bad)

2) If the answer is yes, do I need to take out all other forms of filtration in my hob filter (foam pads and bio balls)?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pureit is activated carbon with some ION exchange resins... I don't think the exchange resins do much in saltwater (not totally ineffective but quite limited). I wouldn't think you'll strip your water unless you're using an exorbitant amount.

I would suggest testing your phosphates regularly while using any chemical media to find the sweet spot for your tank.

I would remove the foam pads and bioballs regardless. more detriment there than benefit.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pureit is activated carbon with some ION exchange resins... I don't think the exchange resins do much in saltwater (not totally ineffective but quite limited). I wouldn't think you'll strip your water unless you're using an exorbitant amount.

I would suggest testing your phosphates regularly while using any chemical media to find the sweet spot for your tank.

I would remove the foam pads and bioballs regardless. more detriment there than benefit.
Ok thank you!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back