Brightwell Reef Code with Tropic Part C?

steelfeather

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already dosing Brightwell Reef Code A and B and have a stock of them. I was thinking of switching to the Balling method but would like to use my Brightwell stock up before buying the A and B from Tropic. Can I add part C of the Tropic Balling method while running out my supply of Brightwell A and B? If so what would my proportions be?
Thanks

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am already dosing Brightwell Reef Code A and B and have a stock of them. I was thinking of switching to the Balling method but would like to use my Brightwell stock up before buying the A and B from Tropic. Can I add part C of the Tropic Balling method while running out my supply of Brightwell A and B? If so what would my proportions be?
Thanks
Code A is has magnesium, calcium, and strontium that it adds.
Code B adds alkalinity and borate.
Tropic part C is everything in regular salt minus sodium chloride.

My understanding is part C is intended to be used when just calcium chloride and bicarbonate/carbonate to make it into a “balanced” additive and account for all the dilution of elements from the NaCl.

Since code A & B are considered a “balanced additive”, In your situation, adding the tropic C would likely cause an increase/accumulation in your strontium, magnesium, and boron levels (and salinity but this is normal with additives) due to “double accounting” over time.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Balling Part C is appropriate to use ONLY when the alk and calcium parts do not already contain other ingredients than calcium chloride and sodium hydroxide/carbonate/bicarbonate.

That said, Brightwell reef Code hardly has anything else in it and is very poorly designed. I would not use it (I’d use a far better balanced product such as ESV two part). I’m not sure it is necessarily improved by adding Part C. Some things are improved (potassium) and some are likely made worse (sulfate).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
steelfeather

steelfeather

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Balling Part C is appropriate to use ONLY when the alk and calcium parts do not already contain other ingredients than calcium chloride and sodium hydroxide/carbonate/bicarbonate.

That said, Brightwell reef Code hardly has anything else in it and is very poorly designed. I would not use it (I’d use a far better balanced product such as ESV two part). I’m not sure it is necessarily improved by adding Part C. Some things are improved (potassium) and some are likely made worse (sulfate).
Thank You for the info.
Would you discontinue its use if you still had some or use up what you had left then switch? I may have about 4+ month's worth left.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the info.
Would you discontinue its use if you still had some or use up what you had left then switch? I may have about 4+ month's worth left.

Id use up what I have.

Upvote 0
Back