Brightwell Xport NO3 Brick in 40B

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, would putting one of these bricks in the second chamber of my 40B AIO be overkill? It’s not really fit for use as a refugium, so this seemed like a good second choice.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for additional surface area for bacteria, then they would be a good choice (e.g. if you were running a minimalist aquascape). I personally wouldn't add those bricks if I were expecting them to reduce nitrates in a meaningful manner.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for additional surface area for bacteria, then they would be a good choice (e.g. if you were running a minimalist aquascape). I personally wouldn't add those bricks if I were expecting them to reduce nitrates in a meaningful manner.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t really need the extra surface area, per se, or the nitrate reduction.

Honestly, I’m just looking for something to fill the second chamber with. The brick would be a perfect fit, and I figured the extra surface area could only be beneficial. Any other ideas?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it certainly can't hurt, so if that's what's calling your name, then I say go for it!

I'd probably hold off myself and use the space as a modified refugium or save the space for a future use (such as the location of a media reactor, storage for sponges for QT, etc).

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

It’s the weirdest thing. I’ve tried a refugium twice now, and both times the chaeto slowly melted away. I have detectable nutrients, so I have no idea what the problem is.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule, most hobbyists I've seen that fail to grow cheato are often successful if they either investigate their lighting, deficiencies in phosphate, nitrate, iron, or the size/condition of their starting cheato. I can't say that will work for all, but those three parameters are usually the things I would focus on first. If it's not those three, then it gets a bit trickier/trial and error to troubleshoot why cheato isn't working in your particular system.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ChaetoMax light designed for refugiums, and even started dosing chaetogro. No luck. I started with pretty good chunks, too. No idea what’s going on.

Thanks for the insights!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back