Bristle worm confirmation?

Jacko85

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2023
Messages
42
Reaction score
14
Location
Sydney, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

Tank has been up and running for about 5 months, so still a bit new to some (a lot) of things. Have seen these guys skulking in some of the rockwork before, but never out and about. Just tonight was alarmed to see them crawling all over my hammer. Managed to grab a couple out, but still at least a couple more I think in the tank.

Now I *think* these are just bristle worms, and I shouldn't really worry and just a fact of life. But can anyone confirm? My hammer has been a little bit unhappy the last week or so.. but I assume the worms won't be a cause rather than a symptom?


IMG_4402.jpg




IMG_4405.jpg
 
Yes you are correct, they are great filter feeders. However I do not tolorate this size in a tank, smaller sure no problem but the size of these guys is where I find they can become an issue.
 
Yes you are correct, they are great filter feeders. However I do not tolorate this size in a tank, smaller sure no problem but the size of these guys is where I find they can become an issue.
Good to know. Yes I was surprised how large they were. I'll try and catch the larger ones!
 
Ok, the reason I was asking is because these guys don't grow extremely fast. So I was wondering how you ended up with monsters in such a young tank.
Just great at raising bristle worms i guess.. :confused:

All the coral that has come in has been dipped with red sea dipx as well... and have seen small critters come off (a few mm in size max). The only thing that came in with any size was my first leather which came in on a larger rock from the LFS. Dipped as usual but maybe something was further inside the rock that missed the dip.
 
Just great at raising bristle worms i guess.. :confused:

All the coral that has come in has been dipped with red sea dipx as well... and have seen small critters come off (a few mm in size max). The only thing that came in with any size was my first leather which came in on a larger rock from the LFS. Dipped as usual but maybe something was further inside the rock that missed the dip.
Yip they would have been in the rock.
 
I actively keep these out of the display tank completely and only keep them in the sump DSB. At times I come across one in the display tank and quickly relocate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new