Bristle Worm? Safe?

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this guy as I was removing a rock and relocating it to my sump. Is this a bristle worm? Is it safe to keep in the tank?

IMG-1435.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, that appears to be a bristle worm. You will likely hear a mix of opinions. IMO they can be a helpful part of your clean up crew. On the other hand, they can be problematic if they get too large, over populate, or embed themselves into your finger (speaking for a friend :oops:).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Although not welcomed in any of my tanks- its safe. They can grow to easy 12" or more over time.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a harmless bristle worm, that's fireworm. Note the red spots where the bristles come out. Those are bad. They are opportunistic hunters that may snack on corals and sick fishes. And their sting is really painful. I would remove it and consider setting traps to see if there are more.

The harmless kinds of bristle worms do not get more than an inch or two but these guys can grow to a foot or more and are not good to have. I have a tank full of bristle worms that I love as they are a CUC that scales up and down as nutrients do and the sting doesn't even hurt (or mabye I have just been lucky)

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say they don't like or had a bad experience with bristle worms I think they had fireworms and just lumped them together with the smaller detritivores.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Ric878

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a harmless bristle worm, that's fireworm. Note the red spots where the bristles come out. Those are bad. They are opportunistic hunters that may snack on corals and sick fishes. And their sting is really painful. I would remove it and consider setting traps to see if there are more.

The harmless kinds of bristle worms do not get more than an inch or two but these guys can grow to a foot or more and are not good to have. I have a tank full of bristle worms that I love as they are a CUC that scales up and down as nutrients do and the sting doesn't even hurt (or mabye I have just been lucky)
I have added another photo to the original post. I think the first pic may have accentuated certain colors. The second photo is at my desk without the LEDs on my tank. Just want to make sure I don't misidentify this critter.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added another photo to the original post. I think the first pic may have accentuated certain colors. The second photo is at my desk without the LEDs on my tank. Just want to make sure I don't misidentify this critter.
I still think that's a fireworm but eh more research needed I guess. I just figure most of our tanks have many species of bristles and removing ones that might be fireworms or just the larger bristle worms helps select for the better ones. If it is a regular bristle worm you can rest assured more are in there, but if it's a fireworm you might avert a pest by removing it.

OP
OP
Ric878

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think that's a fireworm but eh more research needed I guess. I just figure most of our tanks have many species of bristles and removing ones that might be fireworms or just the larger bristle worms helps select for the better ones. If it is a regular bristle worm you can rest assured more are in there, but if it's a fireworm you might avert a pest by removing it.
Well, with that in mind, I will get rid of it and keep an eye out for more. I suppose I will set a trap to see what I get. Thanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back