bristle worms

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these long creepy guys crawling in my tank, but they never harmed my fish, while I never thought if they are good or bad... I love these guys, I don't care if they're poisonous or sting humans, they clean the food hyper fast, better than any clean up crew animal, some of them are red, maybe fireworms and I once tried to get one out with tongs but they're so strong that the worm cut himself in half
20240227_204900.jpg
20240225_184422.jpg
20240210_124149.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Normal bristleworms, are harmless, and like you have already seen, they eat leftover food, so they make a great part of your CUC.

If they break in half, it will become 2 worms.

I can't tell if they are fireworms, but if you see some, take them out as those are a different story...

Careful when handling them, the bristles can stick into your hand, and get stuck causing pain.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if they are fireworms, but if you see some, take them out as those are a different story
Actually, most fireworms are just as reef safe as regular bristleworms. The predatory bearded fireworm, very infrequently seen in our tanks, is quite distinctive.

Screenshot_20240227-192608.png

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, most fireworms are just as reef safe as regular bristleworms. The predatory bearded fireworm, very infrequently seen in our tanks, is quite distinctive.

Screenshot_20240227-192608.png
Oh ok, I didn't know that! I thought that all of them were predatory. Thanks for correcting me!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same one I saw yesterday I think, he was red and hairy, spiky too
Do you have ocean live rock in your tank? From the Gulf of Mexico or the north Caribbean/south Atlantic?

If not, it's unlikely to be a bearded fireworm. But if it IS, it is more likely to be out in the open during the day than most bw's and won't just come out during the day when you feed. If you're concerned, you should try setting a bristleworm trap - there are several threads on R2R that show how to make one.

What type of coral do you have?

Edit: attaching a good description

Attachments

• Hermodice_carunculata - Bearded Fireworm (1).pdf
    473.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have ocean live rock in your tank? From the Gulf of Mexico or the north Caribbean/south Atlantic?

If not, it's unlikely to be a bearded fireworm. But if it IS, it is more likely to be out in the open during the day than most bw's and won't just come out during the day when you feed. If you're concerned, you should try setting a bristleworm trap - there are several threads on R2R that show how to make one.

What type of coral do you have?

Edit: attaching a good description
I don't have corals, just live rock from the Caribbean, from the ocean and I'm not concerned about that I like them if they're still cleaning but I was wrong they're bristle worms luckily, they're only very red but not that thick

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both are safe but can multiply. While not welcomed in my tanks. many regard them as cleaner crew as they consume both uneaten food and detritus

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back