bristletooth in qt

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, want to ask for advice.
I have clown, coral beauty and bristletooth tang in a 30g quarantine for 10 days now. 8 of them on chloroquine.

Clown and coral beauty is doing fine, eating and normal behavior.

Since i put the tang is he has been extremely picky on food, almost not eating. Every now and then that means every second day he picks at his nori a bit. And sometimes tries to eat algae off the glass. Tried hikari seaweed, tetra flakes, ocean nutrition flakes, garlic soaked etc. still no interest.
I mean i am afraid he will die of starvation if he will not eat. And probably he is eating something otherwise 10days without food he would be dead or skinny by now.

Second he is probably stressed because of the 30g qt, swimming up and down in tank against glass.

Any ideas if i should be worried? And what else to try to get him to eat something?

Pic in the attachment, is he skinny or no?

Would be thankful for any input. Thanks. :)

DSC_1416.jpg

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And might he have swollen mouth? I googled a lot of picks and most of the tangs have kinda large mouths?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini wouldn't touch Nori in QT (I was also using CP). He would eat NLS pellets and mysis. He eats Nori now that he is in the DT.

I think his lips look normal.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed ... lips look normal for a bristletooth - their mouths are a little different from other tangs.

He doesn't look terribly skinny, either, though the angle of this photo makes some indicators difficult to spot.

Keep offering, keep observing, and you'll discover what he likes best.

Bristletooth tangs aren't always as "in to" algae sheets as other tangs - they're more detritivores in nature.

~Bruce

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped reading into behavior in the QT. Fish act totally different once they are in a more natural environment with rocks and sand. I had an eel that I never saw in QT because he always hid when he saw me. In the DT I could probably touch him because he's always out.

The only time I got my Tomini to touch Nori (and he still didn't really eat it) was when I put an elastic around it and sunk it with a small Pvc elbow. Now he eats out of a pouch with the other fish.

If you can get him to eat pellets that should be OK for QT. Good pellets have algae in them.

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies :) if all goes ok the in 2weeks will go in to dt.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies :) if all goes ok the in 2weeks will go in to dt.
I’d treat with copper. Low levels of copper almost all fish are kept in throughout the distribution system often mask symptoms of velvet and ich for up to a month.

Regarding feeding, frozen foods probably better

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried food like Rods, LRS, or Hikari frozen? If that doesn’t work live foods almost always intices them into eating.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's using CP.
That’s what I get for not reading in full.

But the two weeks thing through me off as that’s what a lot of people use as an observatory period. Two weeks in fully therapeutic CP Is not going to be enough unless transferred in to a new fully sterile quarantine on the 14th day.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate nothing for two weeks while in qt and was extremely shy and hid as soon as I walked into the room. Didn't matter what I offered but it didn't even look at food but I would see picking at the glass. After going into display it's eating great and picking all over the tank all day long.
I think it takes them a little while to get used to eating food out of the water colum.

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a few days old, but just wanted to add. My tomini tang has always refused nori sheets, but if I take a sheet and rip off tiny pieces, he eats them like crazy. You might try that. Good luck and hopefully your fish will come around soon.

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while put the in dt due to bad water in qt, all three doing great. Tang eating 2sheets nori a day and occasionaly eating few floating flakes. So qt was to blame. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back