White Cheek With Mouth Disease

chris!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this white cheek for about a few months now in my display tank and he had some ich problems so I put him in QT and now still in QT he is developing this mouth rot. He is not eating I have tried nori and mysis shrimp. He has also gotten very skinny since I put him in QT. Can anyone help?
IMG_1399.jpg
IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1400.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had this white cheek for about a few months now in my display tank and he had some ich problems so I put him in QT and now still in QT he is developing this mouth rot. He is not eating I have tried nori and mysis shrimp. He has also gotten very skinny since I put him in QT. Can anyone help?
IMG_1399.jpg
Looks like an injury or rot but likely injury from striking rock or something sharp
My other concern is the fish is quite thin
What foods are you feeding it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1399.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

With a mouth injury like this, fixing the problem may be impossible. Obviously, the injury is keeping the fish from eating. It will take time for antibiotics to work, meanwhile, the fish isn't going to eat. It is already very thin, which means it does not have much food reserves to keep it going through a time of no food.

I have tube fed fish before, but it is difficult to do without a fish anesthetic.

Jay

OP
OP
chris!

chris!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

With a mouth injury like this, fixing the problem may be impossible. Obviously, the injury is keeping the fish from eating. It will take time for antibiotics to work, meanwhile, the fish isn't going to eat. It is already very thin, which means it does not have much food reserves to keep it going through a time of no food.

I have tube fed fish before, but it is difficult to do without a fish anesthetic.

Jay
Alright thanks. All I have to do is hope. I did put some antibiotics to see if he can heal enough to start eating again. I am still trying to feed him and he does show a bit of interest in the food but he has not eaten any

OP
OP
chris!

chris!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an injury or rot but likely injury from striking rock or something sharp
My other concern is the fish is quite thin
What foods are you feeding it?
Mysis Shrimp and Nori but it hasn't eaten any of it sadly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mysis Shrimp and Nori but it hasn't eaten any of it sadly
Consider some of the following:
Live brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks. All I have to do is hope. I did put some antibiotics to see if he can heal enough to start eating again. I am still trying to feed him and he does show a bit of interest in the food but he has not eaten any
Try soft foods, like mysids, chopped into smaller pieces.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back