Bristletooth Tang Picking on New Fish

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new Flame Angel and my bristletooth tang has been chasing it around the tank. I would have thought my Sailfin would have been the bully, but it's my bristletooth. Any suggestions on what can help? Or will it just go away in time?

Thanks

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually go after similar color/form. I’d say the angel is closer in shape to the bristletooth. Angel may be darkened up from stress too, so closer in color as well. As long as you have plenty of hiding spots, you should be fine. How close in size are they?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a very nice tank of correct size.
Some territory needs to be established so as long as the chasing is not 100% of the time at all times or, he starts to bite in any way, just let them work that issue out, I don’t find the BTT, the most aggressive of fish for the most part.
There should be spaces in time where chasing is not done and these spaces in time should get wider.
If he’s freaking relentless, and is pushing or physically attacking then time out in a mesh acclimation for 48, add or change a rock feature and reintroduce.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang is a jerk and chases down anything that makes him mad. Shape of fish doesn’t seem to matter. He hates my adorned wrasse and also picks fights with other fish. Doesn’t kill anything but still a jerk. You can try rearranging things or timeout as above.

OP
OP
Glott3133

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame is pretty big, but the bristletooth is about twice the size of the flame. There are plenty of hiding spots in my tank. The last 2 days the flame has been hiding in a montipora. Thanks for all of the help.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times fish that have the same feeding requirements (algae) will often not get along......my Kole tang had to be removed for the same reason. He would pick on any new algae eating fish.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new Flame Angel and my bristletooth tang has been chasing it around the tank. I would have thought my Sailfin would have been the bully, but it's my bristletooth. Any suggestions on what can help? Or will it just go away in time?

Thanks
Did they sort it out and settled? Of all fish in my tank the Bristletooth is going for my new Flame Angel.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back