Bristleworm I.D.

DAK35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone is able to identify if this guy is one that will cause problems in the tank or not. 15 gallon been up and running for roughly 6 weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated!

20220527_153216.jpg 20220527_153135.jpg 20220527_153120.jpg

JJ"sSouthernAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bristleworm (but ngl not very good at telling which one) it could be a fireworm tho (they look alike) if its a fireworm, then yes, it is pretty bad cuz it will attack things in your tank. if a bristleworm then it should be fine, they just reproduce rapidly if there is enough food for them. but if you want it out just pull it out, cuz most ppl dont like the look of them in their tank. hope this helps!

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to tell for certain but looks like a run of the mill bristle worm, not a fire I dont think. I have several massive ones in my AIO 20g. Talking 12" stretched out, no issues. Other than my tank is kept too clean and I have to dose PO4 some times as they clean up EVERYTHING lol

JJ"sSouthernAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to tell for certain but looks like a run of the mill bristle worm, not a fire I dont think. I have several massive ones in my AIO 20g. Talking 12" stretched out, no issues. Other than my tank is kept too clean and I have to dose PO4 some times as they clean up EVERYTHING lol
then ngl id keep it lol. great cuc

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then ngl id keep it lol. great cuc
They are absolutely amazing at cleaning up stuff. Just be careful to not brush up against any with your hands, I hear that can sting a bit. I have been concerned with some trying to scavenge in the same caves as my YWG and Pistol Shrimp, but I have not seen any adverse effects on my fish yet. Pretty sure the shrimp is shooting some small ones in their cave at times. Or just being noisy because why not? lol

I also tried to pull one out once, holy crap it was impossible. The tongs I had were gripped pretty tight and eventually it still squeezed out leaving some chunks. Still see it with it's messed up segment. Once they are in the rocks, they are in there GOOD

JJ"sSouthernAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are absolutely amazing at cleaning up stuff. Just be careful to not brush up against any with your hands, I hear that can sting a bit. I have been concerned with some trying to scavenge in the same caves as my YWG and Pistol Shrimp, but I have not seen any adverse effects on my fish yet. Pretty sure the shrimp is shooting some small ones in their cave at times. Or just being noisy because why not? lol

I also tried to pull one out once, holy crap it was impossible. The tongs I had were gripped pretty tight and eventually it still squeezed out leaving some chunks. Still see it with it's messed up segment. Once they are in the rocks, they are in there GOOD
Oh wow! yeah the one i had was in a bag so i got it out with ease lol. just curious did you buy the pistol shrimp and YWG together? and are they paired?

OP
OP
D

DAK35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pics here as I just finished the afternoon feeding and hes stretching out.

Attachments

• 20220527_154753.jpg
    20220527_154753.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220527_154742.jpg
    20220527_154742.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220527_154719.jpg
    20220527_154719.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 15

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! yeah the one i had was in a bag so i got it out with ease lol. just curious did you buy the pistol shrimp and YWG together? and are they paired?
They are paired and I bought them about 1.5 months apart, it took them 8 days to find each other and paired up immediately. They are both Juveniles which I think helps. The Pistol is a Candy Cane pistol which is much smaller than the Tiger. He's cute and perfect for a nano as he isn't near as big. Colorful too lol

OP
OP
D

DAK35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually acclimated a YWG and tiger pistol last night. Maybe they will get the worm. Absolutely impossible to catch it.

OP
OP
D

DAK35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I plan to do some softies in the tank, will this guy affect them?

OP
OP
D

DAK35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys! I'll sleep better knowing the creepy worm has a place and belongs. Yall are awesome!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back