Bristleworm or fireworm?

Brad Coughlan

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2023
Messages
754
Reaction score
212
Location
England
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240728_213557.jpg
20240728_213624.jpg
20240728_213553.jpg
 
This looks like a normal bristleworm. On fireworms, you would see white hairs (setae). Good part of your clean up crew.
 
That's a relief, thanks!

The redness in it gave me a bit of a scare, I think it is just the 1 in there I have.
 
The redness in it gave me a bit of a scare, I think it is just the 1 in there I have.
I don't think I've ever seeing just one bristle worm lol. I think the population self controls by the amount of food available and I feed heavy so I have a lot. I had no idea how many I had untill I moved tanks and there were hundreds living under the rocks.
 
That's a relief, thanks!

The redness in it gave me a bit of a scare, I think it is just the 1 in there I have.
First, "bristleworm" is a broad term/category that includes about a zillion members (give or take). Since most of the species that resemble your photo can cause pain if touched, many biologists consider no distinction between a "regular bristleworm" and a "fireworm". Most "fireworms" are good cuc members... only a few species, in particular Hermodice carunculata- the bearded fireworm- are detrimental in our tanks because they eat coral. See below for an example.
While it's not as uncommon to find the predatory worms as it used to be, unless you've added rock from a gulf of Mexico vendor, it's still very unlikely you will find any bristle/fireworm that's not a beneficial critter.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECGUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0f19U4Pvo23fwdjV7ud0yv
 
First, "bristleworm" is a broad term/category that includes about a zillion members (give or take). Since most of the species that resemble your photo can cause pain if touched, many biologists consider no distinction between a "regular bristleworm" and a "fireworm". Most "fireworms" are good cuc members... only a few species, in particular Hermodice carunculata- the bearded fireworm- are detrimental in our tanks because they eat coral. See below for an example.
While it's not as uncommon to find the predatory worms as it used to be, unless you've added rock from a gulf of Mexico vendor, it's still very unlikely you will find any bristle/fireworm that's not a beneficial critter.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECGUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0f19U4Pvo23fwdjV7ud0yv
Thanks for the info

I used dry rock, the bristleworm came in on a GSP frag, that I did dip but still got in somehow, not sure how
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new