Anyone got an ID on this worm?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefED!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefED!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2022
Messages
1,112
Reaction score
848
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a bristleworm - at least not a traditional one or the typical species that we get in our systems.

The way they move and react to peroxide is totally different as well

IMG_6668.jpeg IMG_6667.jpeg IMG_6666.jpeg IMG_6669.jpeg
 
How does it move differently? Can you describe it or do you have a video?
 
Sure - from the Live Photo

I had an infestation of the classic bristleworms before so I’m familiar with how they are - these are different and pretty rare

I’ve seen 3-4 but I never find any when picking up rocks or anything like that


 
Okay, I really thought the color change between mid-section and anterior, as well as the color pattern, the fact that you found it in a clam, and the movement would be enough for a rough identification, but I'm definitely not there yet 😅

I tried...

My guess: Dorvilleidae. Here's an example that shows at least the pattern, even if the colors are different (there are regional differences afaik, and maybe diet-based ones as well). The number of eye spots and their locations seems fitting, and the antenna might be right as well, it's hard to tell from your photos: https://reeflex.net/tiere/7225_Dorvillea_sp.htm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new