Brittle seastar and Berghia nudibranch

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience having these two together? - brittle sea stars and berghia nudibranch? I recently bought a bunch of Berghia and didnt think anything about having a seastar that may be able to eat them,...

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were fine with brittle stars so im guessing theyre ok to keep together. The only way you'll ever know if they made it is a decline in aiptasia about 2 months after adding them. If you still have alot of aiptasia with no noticeable decline after 3-4 months chances are they didnt make it. You'll never see them otherwise.

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience brittle stars feed more like filter feeders, catching bits of food in the ‘spines’ on their legs and transferring it to their mouths. It didn’t appear to me that they actively hunted like the green serpent star does. I would expect them to be fine with berghias, etc.

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think the jury is still out to some extent. They are slow to ramp up so for the last week I had been thinking that perhaps they all died on me.. but the last two days I have seen a few aiptasia disappear so hopeful that they are still going and taking out ones in the rockwork I didn't know about. I have never seen the berghias after the day I added them to the tank, but I also don't go checking at night.

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I believe they are still alive and have gone on a rampage killing off tons of aiptasia. There was a rock in my tank which was basically covered completely with at least 50+ aiptasia and it's now almost completely cleaned off.

Back