Brittlestars Disappeared?

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
52
Reaction score
10
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been keeping some micro brittlestars in a nano tank for a couple of months, and they were doing just fine. Once every couple of nights I'd check in and see one scuttling around looking for a new hiding spot. Then I moved, took the tank with me, did the best I could to keep it from moving as much as possible for the 10 minute drive. It's been 3 months now and I haven't seen a single star yet. What're the chances they all expired? They loved to burrow in the substrate (crushed aragonite sand) so they could just be hiding. Does anyone know if brittlestars can "suffocate" under the substrate? Can they be crushed? With a tank this small, I would've expected the water to get cloudy if they all died and disintegrated.
 
Your tank wouldn’t get cloudy if they did die. It’s hard to know, since they do hide, but if you don’t see any for a long time it may be the case.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new