Broken shaft on an MP10..fix it for pennies

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I bought an MP10 last week off the forum. When i got it in I went to clean the wetside more and dropped it :mad::mad:.
It cracked the ceramic shaft in half. So the ceramic only went halfway up the shaft. The pump still worked but couldnt go past around 40% or it would make a little bit of rattle.
I was really ticked at myself. I see ecotech doesnt offer a replacement of a 10cent part but why would they when they can force you to buy a $65 replacement wetside.
So I found a video a guy used heat shrink
tube

I went right downstairs and pulled the pump and did it myself. PERFECT fix. I used my kit I already had
Shrink Tube

one red then the yellow ontop. The impeller fits perfectly and spins like new without any major resistance and no wobble. I put it back in the tank and cranked to 100% and its dead silent.
Gave it a lube up of the molykote
Lube
So if anyone breaks the ceramic shaft this is a cheap easy fix

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be interested in the longevity of this fix. I dont believe the heat shrink tubing will hold up to saltwater exposure for long, plus the mechanical abrasion of the propeller spinning on the shaft constantly.

By no means crapping on your thread, just offering some perspective. :)

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if it last 2 months before it wears out I have sooo many of those tubes to keep replacing till i need a new wetside
but with the molykote it spun very smooth and wasnt dragging at all

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting. I’ve had that video in my favourites for a while but hadn’t gotten around to getting one of the wetsides from my MP10 graveyard and trying it out. He has a follow-up video where he says he thinks it’s actually quieter than the ceramic shaft.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've had to replace a couple of wetsides lately due to ceramic sleeve breaking.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an MP10 last week off the forum. When i got it in I went to clean the wetside more and dropped it :mad::mad:.
It cracked the ceramic shaft in half. So the ceramic only went halfway up the shaft. The pump still worked but couldnt go past around 40% or it would make a little bit of rattle.
I was really ****** at myself. I see ecotech doesnt offer a replacement of a 10cent part but why would they when they can force you to buy a $65 replacement wetside.
So I found a video a guy used heat shrink
tube

I went right downstairs and pulled the pump and did it myself. PERFECT fix. I used my kit I already had
Shrink Tube

one red then the yellow ontop. The impeller fits perfectly and spins like new without any major resistance and no wobble. I put it back in the tank and cranked to 100% and its dead silent.
Gave it a lube up of the molykote
Lube
So if anyone breaks the ceramic shaft this is a cheap easy fix

@Jonreefer thank you for starting this thread! I've been meaning to do it but haven't had the chance.

Great youtube video for a cheap quick fix! I've had all the same questions I've seen posted in the thread. Longevity, exposure to saltwater, does it seep anything into your tank... on and on. Long story short I've had the heat shrink on the MP10 for since Nov 2019. For the first few months, I checked it weekly as part of our water changes in the nano tank with no issue. As of today, I haven't seen any impact on the water quality, the heat shrink shows some wear but nothing major. For the exact measurements it was trial and error on the size of the heat shrink, I put two shrinks on to get it to fit properly (see pictures), and I had to cut it down to get the cage on. All in all, I'm happy to have saved $60 for a part that should be sold by Ecotech. Now if I could only find a good cheap fix for the wetside pad:)

Add pics let me know if you have any questions.
I purchased the heat shrinks on Amazon here.

IMG-1456.jpg IMG-1457.jpg IMG-1458.jpg IMG-1459.jpg IMG-1460.jpg Without_Lens.jpg

Last edited:

nthanhalan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cuople of good wetside, too. But my problems is not the axil, but the square ceramic base being loose. Know how to fix that?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe the heat shrink tubing will hold up to saltwater exposure for long, plus the mechanical abrasion of the propeller spinning on the shaft constantly.

Shrink tubing will last forever in salt water. Or for many years anyway.
When my old pump shafts get to worn to work, I cover them with shrink tubing to take up the extra room. They have been running trouble free for more years than I can remember

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this trick sometime ago for my cheap power heads. They are still running in some of my other tanks for 3 years now. I have also used this on some old hob filters when I was in freshwater to quiet them down.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrink tubing will last forever in salt water. Or for many years anyway.
When my old pump shafts get to worn to work, I cover them with shrink tubing to take up the extra room. They have been running trouble free for more years than I can remember

happy to stand corrected. I would assume it’s life expectancy would be cut quite short by that environment but you know what they say about assumptions.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jonreefer thank you for starting this thread! I've been meaning to do it but haven't had the chance.

Great youtube video for a cheap quick fix! I've had all the same questions I've seen posted in the thread. Longevity, exposure to saltwater, does it seep anything into your tank... on and on. Long story short I've had the heat shrink on the MP10 for since Nov 2019. For the first few months, I checked it weekly as part of our water changes in the nano tank with no issue. As of today, I haven't seen any impact on the water quality, the heat shrink shows some wear but nothing major. For the exact measurements it was trial and error on the size of the heat shrink, I put two shrinks on to get it to fit properly (see pictures), and I had to cut it down to get the cage on. All in all, I'm happy to have saved $60 for a part that should be sold by Ecotech. Now if I could only find a good cheap fix for the wetside pad:)

Add pics let me know if you have any questions.
I purchased the heat shrinks on Amazon here.

IMG-1456.jpg IMG-1457.jpg IMG-1458.jpg IMG-1459.jpg IMG-1460.jpg Without_Lens.jpg

is the shrink wrap over the remaining ceramic , or directly on the stainless steel axel? I guess it must be directly on the stainless steel.

smallreefnyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, if you have a newer mp10 that this also happened to you might notice that the size of the magnet hole is smaller than the older ones. I had an older one laying around for years not in use since the ceramic fell off, and compared them side by side. As a result even putting one smallest heat shrink tube over the metal shaft, the magnet would not fit over. If you are having this issue just boil the westside magnet for a couple of minutes so the metal expands then fits right over and run under cold water. Fixed the issue and the wet-side seems to be working good again

Shame on Ecotech Marine for knowing their product has issues and instead of selling the part that degrades quickly for a reasonable price they force you to buy a new wetside for $65. I have had nothing but problems with mp10, their customer service got horrible. I've been forced to buy a new wetside from them, a new dryside, still have the same problems and they simply don't care. Their only solution is keep paying for shipping and sending it back...

You buy a $300 pump/powerhead (mp10) because its supposed to be of a much higher quality brand, and one that you would think stands behind their product. Add the cost of keep shipping it to them, replacing wetside, replacing dry-side and still having the same issues you would be better off buying a cheaper propeller pump and just replacing it when it fails. On their website they claim their Vortech line is the "gold standard". It's far from... I've been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years, If you are looking for a good reliable powerhead for a reasonable price, I would recommend going elsewhere. #ecotech #ecotechmarine. If you want to overspend because you believe the value is worth it, that is good and thats what I thought I was getting, but its simply not.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. I have 2 MP10s and an extra wetside. All three have cracked ceramic shafts. Overpriced for something that didn't even last a year. I went and bought two Reefwave 25's which have been flawless. This experience has made me made me wary of any Ecotech product.

smallreefnyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal to learn over the years and make iterations accordingly. The challenge is when a brand starts to believe they are "too good" and doesn't stand behind their product or value their customers business anymore because THEY believe they have a "gold standard" product. You would at least expect them to replace the faulty product and/or sell just the back piece with the ceramic for a reasonable replacement price if they know it doesn't last long.

There are other brands and products out there. For the investment I made in their product, in the end its not worth it. I also have radion xr30 and Vectra return pump on the setup. When their Versa dosing pumps came out, I would have bought them, but I kept my existing dosing pumps as don't trust their customer service if something goes wrong.

I have plenty of products from companies with "lesser" quality reputations that are built to last and have proved it over the many years. I also have a nuvo fusion setup for years from innovative marine and a couple of times there has been an issue with one of their products. I contacted them and they replaced them immediately and at no cost which makes me want to do business with them as when buying products as you are investing in the company which allows them to grow, innovate, and make new great products the market enjoys. I had a neotherm heater fail a couple of years ago from Cobalt Aquatics, which lets face it, does happen. We have investments in our aquariums worth tens of thousands of dollars. Their customer service couldn't be better and replaced it immediately at no cost = keep buying from them and supporting them.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back