Possible Partial Solution to Noisy MP40 QD Wetside

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP 40 QD's on my 120 and the right one, which is almost a year old, is very quiet, most would say dead silent. My left one, however, is not so quiet. Even though it is only 2 months old the left MP40 QD had always been noisy. I have played around with it's position and that will quiet it down for a bit but then it goes right back to being noisy. The other day I decided to clean it, though it was fairly clean as it's only been 2 months, and I put some more MolyKote 111 compound (what I believe it comes lubricated with) on it and that quieted it down for a bit so I decided to try a nylon washer on the ceramic shaft between it's base and the prop magnet

20240323_110836.jpg

20240323_110751.jpg

Unfortunately, that did not fix it.

Then, I noticed that the tabs on the prop cover (not sure of the proper term) appeared to be bent outward slightly and, at least one may have a slight crack in it. This made the prop cover fit loosely and, possibly, cause vibration

20240323_111713.jpg

So, I decided to heat up the tab and bend it back in slightly

20240323_112338.jpg

20240323_112423.jpg

I reassembled the unit and put it back on the tank and it made a difference in the noise. It is still not as quiet as the right one but is is more quiet then it was with only a very slight vibration now.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good observation!

If I had to guess, you just happened to have a wetside that isn't quite balanced. I've gotten a few of those over the years.

All I did was contact ecotech and they would take care of it.
That's probably what I should have done and may still do depending on how this goes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back