Bromine @ 183ppm

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had very slightly elevated bromine in my tank after some water changes with a new bucket of salt. This led me to checking my Red Sea blue bucket salt with Red Sea's helpful "My Batch" tool.

Turns out the batch of salt has 183 ppm bromine. Their recommended range is 60-70 ppm.

Is this likely to be an issue in the tank? It's an acro tank if that's relevant.

Thanks

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had very slightly elevated bromine in my tank after some water changes with a new bucket of salt. This led me to checking my Red Sea blue bucket salt with Red Sea's helpful "My Batch" tool.

Turns out the batch of salt has 183 ppm bromine. Their recommended range is 60-70 ppm.

Is this likely to be an issue in the tank? It's an acro tank if that's relevant.

Thanks
I think its a 'non-issue'. But - am curious - why are you checking bromine in the first place? Second - I might contact RedSea and ask them?

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a 'non-issue'. But - am curious - why are you checking bromine in the first place? Second - I might contact RedSea and ask them?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Boring answer:

I had another issue which led me to do a lot of water changes and regular icp tests (tin pollution).

Recently I started a new bucket of salt and since then was alerted after each icp that bromine was high. Contaminated salt was listed as one of the likely sources of elevated bromine.

Red Sea salt includes an icp test for each batch. I checked this and found the 183 ppm figure.

I have asked Red sea and they are "investigating", but I wondered if any hobbyists had info in the meantime.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%

Back