Brook? Or just travel stress?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got in a shipment of 5 fish - 3 grammas, 1 flame angel, and a flasher wrasse. All but the wrasse look good (the grammas have already exited acclimation), but the wrasse looks to be having issues:
IMG_0233.JPG

Could be brook? May also just be travel stress as it just came out of the bag. No movement; tail folded. Faint gill movement.

I could do a FW dip or Formalin bath - but wasn't sure if I should wait until acclimation is complete and see...

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Same lack of activity following acclimation. Performed a 2min FW dip and noticed some activity once adding back into the QT. It was brief, but noticeable.
A few minutes later, followed that up with a 10min Formalin dip (1qt tank water + 5 drops Formalin MS). Followed that with a tank water rinse off, then re-added to QT. Upon re-addition, he flashed the flame angel a bit, swam from one side to the other, then settled down at the bottom next to one of the PVC pipes.

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just normal stress pattern he's showing. But at least you know he doesn't have flukes :).
Cheers! I'll stop mucking with him and let him recover, then. ;-)

Yeah; I figured a quick FW dip would help me "eliminate" other potential problems as well, so went ahead and did it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @GHsaltie. Also, "laying" on the bottom or around QT decorations is normal new-wrasse behavior. He should perk up in a day or two...

Back