What’s wrong with my Juvenile Atlantic blue tang

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past couple months, I’ve noticed white/discolored patches on my juvenile French angel every now and then. Yesterday I finally decided to treat with prazipro in case it may be flukes.

I woke up this morning to find my Atlantic blue tang with excessive mucous on his body and him not swimming around much. It almost looks like brook and I really hope it’s not but could it be brook?

All of the other fish are fine including 2 frostbite clowns, a french angel, a royal gramma, jawfish and pudding wife wrasse.

I am very meticulous when it’s comes to qt and disinfecting things. However, I recently added some blue legged hermits without qt 3 weeks ago and added a used chiller to my system earlier this week. I was using my qts for TTM so didn’t have anything for the crabs.

IMG_3410.jpeg IMG_3420.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What quarantine protocol do you use - copper prazipro or TTM. IMHO - it's extremely difficult to determine what some diseases are without more history. And you did a great job providing that. Just a couple questions - do the fish have breathing issues? How big (size wise) Is the tang? Can you post some pictures of the angel (if there are any changes)?

It definitely looks like a lot of mucus - so there is irritation from something. I assume your parameters are good since other fish are fine - but could you post them? What was the source of your tang?

The good news is the fish is eating. The lesions look almost like mucus plugs - which can come with irritation, Ich or something else. I would consider removing the fish to a hospital tank and considering copper. Hope this helps - The picture - to me - does not give a total diagnosis

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over the past couple months, I’ve noticed white/discolored patches on my juvenile French angel every now and then. Yesterday I finally decided to treat with prazipro in case it may be flukes.

I woke up this morning to find my Atlantic blue tang with excessive mucous on his body and him not swimming around much. It almost looks like brook and I really hope it’s not but could it be brook?

All of the other fish are fine including 2 frostbite clowns, a french angel, a royal gramma, jawfish and pudding wife wrasse.

I am very meticulous when it’s comes to qt and disinfecting things. However, I recently added some blue legged hermits without qt 3 weeks ago and added a used chiller to my system earlier this week. I was using my qts for TTM so didn’t have anything for the crabs.

IMG_3410.jpeg IMG_3420.jpeg
This looks to be either bacterial or infection
Treat in quarantine using seachem kanaplex
How do other fish look?
By chance, is the breathing elevated?

OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What quarantine protocol do you use - copper prazipro or TTM. IMHO - it's extremely difficult to determine what some diseases are without more history. And you did a great job providing that. Just a couple questions - do the fish have breathing issues? How big (size wise) Is the tang? Can you post some pictures of the angel (if there are any changes)?

It definitely looks like a lot of mucus - so there is irritation from something. I assume your parameters are good since other fish are fine - but could you post them? What was the source of your tang?

The good news is the fish is eating. The lesions look almost like mucus plugs - which can come with irritation, Ich or something else. I would consider removing the fish to a hospital tank and considering copper. Hope this helps - The picture - to me - does not give a total diagnosis
Sorry I wanted to write more but I was running late for a meeting with my boss and just had to write something quickly. I use coppper and prazi. 4 weeks in copper and then a round of prazi pro. I’ll do a short observation for a week and a bit but nothing super long. I only recently started ttm for some fish I’ve always had bad luck with in copper but those fish are in another tank. However, all of the fish in this tank went through 30 days of copper and 2 rounds of prazi after ich broke out. All fish were in QT together and the tank was fallow for 2.5 months with water temperature between 82-84f.

No abnormal breathing besides the tang breathing a little heavier and the angel swimming into the flow from the power head. The angel swimming into the power head was the last straw for me to treat for flukes. ( I’ll get some pictures of the angel when I get home).

The tang is about 2” and I caught him myself from the ocean.

I recently did a large water change on Monday since I went a little longer than I normally do before doing one, plus my skimmer has been down for the past week. I will test parameters and post results.

But yeah I’ll take the fish out when I get home. I tried to do that this morning but didn’t have enough time.

Thank you for your feedback!

OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to be either bacterial or infection
Treat in quarantine using seachem kanaplex
How do other fish look?
By chance, is the breathing elevated?
Other fish are perfectly fine besides the angel swimming into the flow a bit. This was the last straw that prompted me to treat for flukes.

The tang’s breathing was slightly elevated when I first made this post. Haven’t been home since.

I will update once I get home on any changes but I’ve got kanaplex on hand and can get my qt going.

I appreciate the help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While swimming into the flow can be from irritation from flukes, can also be velvet

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would doublecheck your memory (were all of the copper measures > 2.5 ppm) as to flukes - sometimes 3 doses are required

OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would doublecheck your memory (were all of the copper measures > 2.5 ppm) as to flukes - sometimes 3 doses are required
Nope, I remember aiming for a bit just below 2.5. I was using a Seachem copper test kit but ended up doing it mathematically with the precise amount of water and copper

OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like velvet huh?

Attachments

• IMG_3432.jpeg
    IMG_3432.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3445.jpeg
    IMG_3445.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3443.jpeg
    IMG_3443.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tang has sadly passed and I’ve got the angel in copper right now. He is breathing quite fast but is casually swimming around the qt and eating. Whenever I come by the tank he perks up and comes to check me out.

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpeg
    IMG_3461.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to check the display and the royal gramma is dead in its hole. I also don’t see the jawfish sticking its head out of its burrow. The 2 clowns and wrasse are doing perfectly fine and are swimming around and eating.

I’m thinking it really is velvet for the royal gramma to die all of a sudden and that the only fish that seem to be alright are the fish with thick mucous layers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back