Question about QT and ttm

nanobambam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
My formee clownfish didn’t make due to brook, it was in my displaytank without any other fish or inverts.

I’m trying again and setup two Qt tanks and want to try the hybrid ttm for the new fish as my display tank will have to be clean of fish at least 60 or 72 days this is also true for inverts correct ?

Now for the question i would like to add two clowns and a blue tang in qt can this be fine the qt are 10 gallons each

Thanks

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts can stay in the display, it depends how big the tang is, if hes small it should be fine, started using 20 gallon tanks for ttm and not filling them all the way. The bigger the better for many reasons if you don't mind the extra salt and water to make imo.
Hi,
My formee clownfish didn’t make due to brook, it was in my displaytank without any other fish or inverts.

I’m trying again and setup two Qt tanks and want to try the hybrid ttm for the new fish as my display tank will have to be clean of fish at least 60 or 72 days this is also true for inverts correct ?

Now for the question i would like to add two clowns and a blue tang in qt can this be fine the qt are 10 gallons each

Thanks

OP
OP
nanobambam

nanobambam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts can stay in the display, it depends how big the tang is, if hes small it should be fine, started using 20 gallon tanks for ttm and not filling them all the way. The bigger the better for many reasons if you don't mind the extra salt and water to make imo.
Its very small will grow with me to a bigger tank in the end the extra water and such is no problem to me

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks
If it is a small tang then they should be fine in a 10 gallon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

Thanks
While tank transfer method can work, it can also be stressful to many fish being moved frequently from Tank to tank.
Its 45-60 days as 76 days was old rule and does not pertain to coral and inverts. Both will do well as its temporary in 10g tanks - Assure good water quality using a quality test kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hybrid TTM has drawbacks - over handling the fish, poor response to flukes and velvet, need to then hold the fish in the TTM tanks until your DT fallow period is over, etc. I stopped using this method back in the mid-80’s.

You should consider this protocol:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I do no think hybrid TTM will help with brook (unless you use the formaldehyde version). For brook, a fallow period of 6 weeks is recommended. You can leave invertebrates in the tank. It would surprise me if even the formaldehyde part of the process will actually 'work'. Which protocol are you talking about? (i.e. what is it) - there are numerous protocols for hybrid TTM?

Thanks
It depends on the size of the tang. If it is one of the extremely small ones possibly, but I would be worried about aggression on the tang from the 2 clowns.

OP
OP
nanobambam

nanobambam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While tank transfer method can work, it can also be stressful to many fish being moved frequently from Tank to tank.
Its 45-60 days as 76 days was old rule and does not pertain to coral and inverts. Both will do well as its temporary in 10g tanks - Assure good water quality using a quality test kit
Hi, thanks again vetteguy :) what would you do instead of ttm ? Do you mean inverts could be added earlier ? And why between 45-60 days ? Thanks again for your comments !

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, thanks again vetteguy :) what would you do instead of ttm ? Do you mean inverts could be added earlier ? And why between 45-60 days ? Thanks again for your comments !
OK - if you re-read my post I think it explains it all. The fallow period for Brooklynella is 6 weeks. It has nothing to do with invertebrates. It depends on which TTM protocol you are using - there are multiple - so it's hard to understand which one you're asking about. If you're asking about Humblefish's protocol - I might ask on their site?

Inverts can be added to your fallow tank anytime. However they should be quarantined per protocol. Hope this helps.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He means that Inverts if added to a fallow tank and left are not an issue. If you do not QT inverts it's a non-issue. There are multiple protocols for fallow periods. the 76 day protocol was based on a study from decades ago - and was based on only one study. Instead 60 days at regular temperature or 45 days at 81 F - are more common

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Treatment as ttm and hypo address parasitical issues. Jay gave clear reading on TTM and risks as I mentioned earlier

OP
OP
nanobambam

nanobambam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He means that Inverts if added to a fallow tank and left are not an issue. If you do not QT inverts it's a non-issue. There are multiple protocols for fallow periods. the 76 day protocol was based on a study from decades ago - and was based on only one study. Instead 60 days at regular temperature or 45 days at 81 F - are more common
Thanks for your reply! So the inverts could be added to the tank say next week so they can do their work in the tank perhaps some hermits and such? I’ll put up the temp in the dp tank to 81f for 45 days and after that i could put in fish again? Sorry for my poor english :) just new at this and inmediatly brook in the tank. I will qt forever little bit of concern about the ttm cause of the stress for the new fish so considering a qt without ttm or with
Please any advice is welcome without hanging you up to the advice just think along :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back