Brook - shrimp / urchin carrier?

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

We run into Brooklynella with my friend from a shopping... I was lucky, the tank was empty so i could cure the fish.
He put the fish into a holder tank with l. Amboiensis and a few urchin in it. Fish are now in qt but what about the shrimps and urchin? Can it carry brook? If so what can we do? Will 6 weeks fishless system work for the shrimp s and urchin?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin and shrimp won't carry it (or at least I have never heard of them being a carrier or able to be sick from it). Just make sure the shrimp and urchin get fed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the shrimp and urchin can act as "fomites" and carry protozoan diseases and flukes from one tank to another. This is simply by virtue of the water on them as they are moved, by chance, will have some parasites on it. Some of these parasites have a lengthy resting stage, so you need to leave the tank free of all fish hosts for a period of time. Brooklynella is mostly a disease affecting clownfish, and does not have a sturdy resting stage like ich does, so I normally just wait 45 days - HOWEVER, if there is any chance that you misidentified the disease, and it was actually ich, you'll want to wait 70 to 80 days to play it really safe.

jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin and shrimp won't carry it (or at least I have never heard of them being a carrier or able to be sick from it). Just make sure the shrimp and urchin get fed.

I want to clarify when I meant carrier I meant that brook wouldn't live in them (like how reptiles can carry salmonella)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to clarify when I meant carrier I meant that brook wouldn't live in them (like how reptiles can carry salmonella)
Reptiles "carry" salmonella, but they are actually infected, they just don't get sick from it like humans do. Urchins and shrimp do not get infected, but if they carry the resting stage into the new tank, that propagule can remain infective for some period of time without a fish host, and then when a fish host becomes present, they can infect them.

Jay

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reptiles "carry" salmonella, but they are actually infected, they just don't get sick from it like humans do. Urchins and shrimp do not get infected, but if they carry the resting stage into the new tank, that propagule can remain infective for some period of time without a fish host, and then when a fish host becomes present, they can infect them.

Jay
A case of Brookynella just broke out between my two tanks. All I have left are 1 clown and 1 shrimp, maybe a baby goby but I haven't seen it in a few weeks. If I took out the fish and left the shrimp in for 4-6 weeks and treat the fish for brook will the tank be okay for fish later down the road or does the shrimp need a seperate set up? I don't want to treat the shrimp for brook since everythint has copper and I read copper is bad but I want my tank to be okay.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A case of Brookynella just broke out between my two tanks. All I have left are 1 clown and 1 shrimp, maybe a baby goby but I haven't seen it in a few weeks. If I took out the fish and left the shrimp in for 4-6 weeks and treat the fish for brook will the tank be okay for fish later down the road or does the shrimp need a seperate set up? I don't want to treat the shrimp for brook since everythint has copper and I read copper is bad but I want my tank to be okay.
Copper isn’t “bad”, but it can’t be used with invertebrates.
Brooklynella can typically be eliminated from a tank by holding it fishless for 60 days.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kid got salmonella from her gecko when she was 6. 2 weeks in the hospital and almost died from the illness
I kept lots of herps as a kid - I had more “stomach flu” than anyone else I knew, I now suspect at least some of those cases were mild salmonella - nasty stuff!
Jay

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept lots of herps as a kid - I had more “stomach flu” than anyone else I knew, I now suspect at least some of those cases were mild salmonella - nasty stuff!
Jay
Yep just think about all the lizards and snakes we caught as kids. We used to sell them to the pet store. We caught tarantulas even rattle snakes with a tube and rope snake snare we made.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That had to be a really scary time for you. So glad that didn't happen
I stayed every night in the ICU with her. At first she wasn't responding at all to the medication but then the infectios disease doctor found the right stuff to help her and I took over gecko responsibility.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stayed every night in the ICU with her. At first she wasn't responding at all to the medication but then the infectios disease doctor found the right stuff to help her and I took over gecko responsibility.
Wow. I bet most people don't even know to consider this when they buy from the pet store. Scary stuff for sure

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I bet most people don't even know to consider this when they buy from the pet store. Scary stuff for sure
So true, there should be warning signs in pet stores. I knew about salmonella with turtles but didn't know it was so prevalent with other reptiles and readily transferable to people. I used to take her to big reptile shows to and handle all kinds of stuff. I totally would never do that again unless just a spectator and not handing the animals.

We all need to be cautious with our tanks too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back