Brooklynella, Velvet, Flukes, Ich, or other?

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in week 7+ of QT (quarantine). I have completed the TTM (tank transfer method) and they're awaiting their return to the DT (display tank) after the seventy something days to prevent reinfection of Ich. Can you please help me identify what this is (and hopfully propose a treatment method)? I really hope it's not Ich or Velvet since I've hopefully taken care of that via the TTM. Not to say I hope it's Brook (Brooklynella) since it's nasty, but at least that would confirm that I've done the TTM successfully. Best case I suppose, though none would be obviously be best (!), I'm hoping for flukes, which seems the most manageable. I really only do seem to notice this at all on my two clowns, which makes me suspect Brooklynella, but I'm not sure if Brook is jagged like these appear to be on the edges. See attached additional pics.

Thanks in advance!

20200304_164810.jpg
20200304_164839.jpg 20200304_164456.jpg 20200304_164624.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was in the middle of something. Why not consider giving the clowns a freshwater dip to either confirm the possibility of flukes or eliminate from the situation.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like brook for sure and not uncommon.

OP
OP
R

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was in the middle of something. Why not consider giving the clowns a freshwater dip to either confirm the possibility of flukes or eliminate from the situation.
Alright, I'll try that in a few hours. Running to the LFS in the meantime. If flukes, they'll all (or most?) fall off while Brook will remain largely unaffected, correct? How long in the fresh water again?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does it take brook to kill fish? is it 1,2 or more days?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
how long does it take brook to kill fish? is it 1,2 or more days?
Depends on health of fish, how long it has had it and how quick it can resist it

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'll try that in a few hours. Running to the LFS in the meantime. If flukes, they'll all (or most?) fall off while Brook will remain largely unaffected, correct? How long in the fresh water again?
The freshwater dip is a win-win. If it's Brook, it will "temporarily" remove many of the parasites until you can treat. If it's flukes, it does the same thing, and you will be able to see their little sesame seed sized bodies at the bottom of the dip container. Works best if you use a dark container so you can more clearly see their white-ish bodies.

OP
OP
R

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the two clowns in 5 min freshwater bath, 5 min 50% salinity bath, and then a ~2-3x strength Rid-Ich Plus bath last night for an hour, as it's the closest I had to the recommended treatments.

They look better, but still have Mark's on their bodies. Does it usually take a few days to clear up?

I have Ruby Reef Rally en route; I'll treat all fish with Rally once it arrives and add Furan-2 in QT. Can I add a small amount of Rally into my QT for persistent protection (and not have to set up another QT)?

Any other suggestions?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the two clowns in 5 min freshwater bath, 5 min 50% salinity bath, and then a ~2-3x strength Rid-Ich Plus bath last night for an hour, as it's the closest I had to the recommended treatments.

They look better, but still have Mark's on their bodies. Does it usually take a few days to clear up?

I have Ruby Reef Rally en route; I'll treat all fish with Rally once it arrives and add Furan-2 in QT. Can I add a small amount of Rally into my QT for persistent protection (and not have to set up another QT)?

Any other suggestions?
Rally works best as a bath IMO. Not saying it wouldn't help, but the bath treatment seems to be it's best application.

OP
OP
R

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally works best as a bath IMO. Not saying it wouldn't help, but the bath treatment seems to be it's best application.
Sorry, yes. I meant I'd treat via bath method, but was asking if adding any amount to QT would help as well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back