brotherd's 220

brotherd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a few of you may know, I lost my 180 due to a split seam several months ago. In that time I have repaired my home and made changes to the floor ,etc where the tank was. I have a new 220 tank on a powder coated steel stand in the approximate same location. It currently sits dry with 100 lbs of Marco rock and 180 lbs of Fiji pink substrate. That's the boring part of my intro.
Here's the hard part,for me anyway. I have managed to to keep a handful of fish and a few corals and inverts alive in a hastily set up 60 gal tank in the basement fish room for all these months. The 60 is tied into the sump and most of the gear I had for the 180.
I'm ready to start again but I can't for the life of me find the courage to take that 60 gal off life support and let it run on it's own with just a heater and and an old aqua clear 110.
If I do it, I can get my new system running in just days but the cycle part will be much longer.More like a couple months.
I already have the following items:
220 gal custom tank with near ctc external beananimal, 1.5"plumbing, 150 gal custom sump, Genesis, Lifereef, Avast, Orphek, Red Sea, Pin point,etc. You get the idea.
All of that will be offline and I'm afraid to put my wet pets in harms way again after the disaster.
How would you find a way to make that transition?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id get a strong led light thats red, grow chaeto. The chaeto will take care of the cycle.

OP
OP
B

brotherd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id get a strong led light thats red, grow chaeto. The chaeto will take care of the cycle.
So, I make the 60 as a stand alone, build the new big system and run chaeto right out of the gate? Or do you mean running chaeto in the 60 to take care of nitrates?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I make the 60 as a stand alone, build the new big system and run chaeto right out of the gate? Or do you mean running chaeto in the 60 to take care of nitrates?
I mean run the chaeto where you have a concern.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back