Brought Trigger system platinum 26 for my 90g AGA tank......but,

PhoenixOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased Trigger System Platinum 26 for my 90g AGA tank. I have yet to use it in case I may have to end up returning it. I want to resolve minor issue and possible problem I may encounter.
The sump comes with 2 drain connectors. My tank has one drain. Would I have an issue if I just connect my single drain to just one of the 2 drains on the sump? Is it ok to leave one of the sump's drain unused?
The other concern is the roller float switches and my Tunze ATO. I saw in some threads that some have issues with the ATO continuously pumping fresh water into the sump because the water level rises when the roller fleece gets clogged and activates the auto roller which lowers the water level, which then the ATO optical sensor sees the level has dropped and starts doing its ATO job. I'm concerned about throwing off salinity levels and wasting fleece. But no one replied with a solution to their question about the ATO conundrum. I emailed Trigger systems yesterday but have yet to hear from them.

Also, not concerning but a bit confusing. I received a Version 2 upgrade part. The 10 inch fleece cross brace with the two cross brace supports. On my fleece motor, it has a sticker that says "V2" with an F under it. But the motor lacks the optical sensor connectors and the 3 IO inputs for controllers. So its not a V2 motor.
Anyone else with Trigger Plat 26 that received that upgrade part?
Anyone else had ATO conundrum and have a solution?

Thanks!

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the trigger 44. I believe all of your relevant questions would be the same. first, no you do not need to use both sump connections though you may want to cover/cap the unused one to lower salt creep.

not sure on your second question, I have never really worried about it. I have had mine for a few years and I dont think it's ever gotten clogged. Where I have run into a similar concern is when the safety float switch (trigger) that sits in with my pump has failed. That switch is meant to float up and let your roller know not to feed more fleece when the water is too high (like when you turn the pump off for feeding or maintenance). Turned out though that the error was mine. I mistakenly put the sensor right under my calcium dosing tube which was dropping calcium onto the switch, in turn, solidifying on the switch.. .I moved the tube.. cleaned the float switch and have not had the issue since.

OP
OP
P

PhoenixOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying!
Good to know not using one of the 2 drains wont cause some kind of issue. Ill try to find something at HD that will fit to cover it.

Regarding my ATO concern, basically my question was how to solve the "one sensor working against the other sensor".
Tunze ATO fills return chamber with fresh water, water rises in fleece chamber, activating fleece float switch and motor runs rolling fleece (even though its not clogged/dirty) continuously, wasting fleece. Lower ATO sensor so water level in fleece chamber lowers to avoid needless activation, but now skimmer not in operating water level. Raise fleece float switch so ATO wont get too low, fleece wont advance when dirty.
The only solutions I found are people with APEX controllers and I can't afford another extremally expensive purchase (took quite a long time to save up for this sump).

Thanks.

OP
OP
P

PhoenixOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow Up:

Trigger Systems finally replied to my email a week and half ago but only answered 1/2 of my question and answered a question I didn't ask. Lol.
So I went ahead and installed my Platinum 26. Swaps are not as easy as i hoped but all in all succeeded. I did find a cap that was the perfect size to plug one of two return drains and just about dialed in my Tunze ATO and fleece float level to where im (i think) not wasting fleece by it continuously being activated by ATO correcting water level.
Now that the system is running, I have this bad gurgling coming from the underwater pipe of the sump's inlet. I have a corrugated drain hose that does have a slight half loop before drain connection. I physically manipulated the drain hose hose around to where there was no loop to where it was just a curved downslope that lead down to the drain see if it affects/changed the level of gurgling and it does not.
Anyone had this problem and how did you manage to solve the loud gurgling?

Thanks!

OP
OP
P

PhoenixOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow Up:

Trigger Systems finally replied to my email a week and half ago but only answered 1/2 of my question and answered a question I didn't ask. Lol.
So I went ahead and installed my Platinum 26. Swaps are not as easy as i hoped but all in all succeeded. I did find a cap that was the perfect size to plug one of two return drains and just about dialed in my Tunze ATO and fleece float level to where im (i think) not wasting fleece by it continuously being activated by ATO correcting water level.
Now that the system is running, I have this bad gurgling coming from the underwater pipe of the sump's inlet. I have a corrugated drain hose that does have a slight half loop before drain connection. I physically manipulated the drain hose hose around to where there was no loop to where it was just a curved downslope that lead down to the drain see if it affects/changed the level of gurgling and it does not.
Anyone had this problem and how did you manage to solve the loud gurgling?

Thanks!
Hmmm. Didn't notice this forum doesn't have an "edit" feature to edit/add to existing post.

Forgot to mention I tried adjusting the durso level in the overflow by raising/lowering it. I accidentally breifly disconnected the durso from bottom connection and reconnected it immediately. But that was enough to drain a ton of crap that was on the bottom of the overflow box and my roller got clogged and the water level in fleece chamber got high to where it raised the top float that turned off fleece advance which started water cascading though the "clogged fleece/water level got high" escape port. Had to manually advance the fleece to a clean section so the water level in the chamber would go back down and deactivate the floats. So anyway, adjusting the durso did not stop the gurgling.

OP
OP
P

PhoenixOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Didn't notice this forum doesn't have an "edit" feature to edit/add to existing post.

Forgot to mention I tried adjusting the durso level in the overflow by raising/lowering it. I accidentally breifly disconnected the durso from bottom connection and reconnected it immediately. But that was enough to drain a ton of crap that was on the bottom of the overflow box and my roller got clogged and the water level in fleece chamber got high to where it raised the top float that turned off fleece advance which started water cascading though the "clogged fleece/water level got high" escape port. Had to manually advance the fleece to a clean section so the water level in the chamber would go back down and deactivate the floats. So anyway, adjusting the durso did not stop the gurgling.
Solution found on post #68
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/any-trigger-platinum-sump-users-out-there.677395/post-8050744

Also noticed there is an "edit" option but it's available temporarily. :)
Thank you all.

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The gurgling results when the primary drain (durso) and the return pump are not balanced. You can adjust either the valve on the primary drain or (assuming your return pump is adjustable) the rate of flow on the pump so that the drain and return are equal. This will end the gurgling. It can take some tinkering.

centex99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm buying a used one tomorrow for my new build (buying a whole tank setup but going to resell the tank/stand/canopy/lights)... Has anyone ever hooked up the sensors and motor to a Hydros system and eliminated their control box? Or has anyone rewired the float switches to the optical kind without upgrading the entire system?
I'm not sure yet I want to spend the $260 to upgrade it... he mentioned it worked fine when he had the tank setup as is though...
I wanted to get the new titanium 26, but hasn't come out and I'm getting a deal on this tank + other stuff (less than what the platinum sells for new still).

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different ATO, one of the problems I had was the Magnetic Sensor would slip down, and my Salinity would go up slightly. I would catch it when pumps sucked air. Took the outside Magnet to local hardware, purchased an “O” ring, and glued it to the outside of the Sump, at the proper height for the Magnet.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back