Brown algae diatoms

  • Thread starter Thread starter Carl C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Carl C

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2018
Messages
327
Reaction score
204
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown algae diatoms
I’ve got a 150 with a good size sump and fuge it’s 2 + years old
I’ve got the brown algae, I’ve been reading watching videos etc etc
I’ve got 4 pretty good size fish
I just got probably 70 good size snails
Got lots crabs
Soft and hard coral
Lots of Chaeto
Auto water change all the bells and whistles
Skimmer
anyway … I’ve been blowing the algae off the corals etc
I DONT. Have a filter sock , just a pad … and I think the diatoms are going through the pad … Thru fuge back into tank .. vicious cycle (my Chaeto keeps getting the brown algae)
so I got a micron filter pad to go under the sponge pad and I think my theory is correct because it’s quickly picking up the brown algae
So I’ve removed my Chaeto and I’ve got it in a brute bucket with salt water I’ve got it covered in the dark
I’ve cleaned out my sump and I’m going to keep the tank lights out for a few days
Anyone know if brown algae will die without light ? Or is that not a thing ?

little twist … I’ve basically in the last 2.5 years never had a nitrate or phosphate reading above 0 ; obviously I’m a nubie and just recently learned that I need slight readings …. But I don’t want to feed the brown algae either…

well friends that’s my story ….

thoughts ? Advice !
 
Yes all plant matter will die with out light there may be a few exceptions, but none that I know of. I do not like chemicals but vibrant might help you get there a little faster.
 
Yes all plant matter will die with out light there may be a few exceptions, but none that I know of. I do not like chemicals but vibrant might help you get there a little faster.
I bought some vibrant… been a bit nervous to use it ….
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new