Brown algae growth in ATS, should something be done?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a diy ATS for about 4~5 months now. It used to grow some nice green stuff in the first month or so but it's been only growing brown algae since then (even after several harvests) and the growth is slow.
The tests consistently show almost no nitrates and phosphates and since the growth is slow, I don't have to harvest as frequently so I don't really have any complains.
Is there any reason for me to try to do something about it and somehow try to promote green growth?

It's a 30g/100L nanno and the bioload is very low (only 6 sexy shrimps & tiny critters).
There's a qq2 skimmer, a filter sock (although I don't clean it very often).
Now that I think about it, I haven't done any water change for about 3 months, could it be that has something to do with it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If turning brown, focus on light and add a little iron to the water

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If turning brown, focus on light and add a little iron to the water
Thanks, I will see what I can do to tweak them.
But if the nutrients are at the level I want as it is now, is there any reason for me to try to get green growth? If so, what would be the purpose?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will see what I can do to tweak them.
But if the nutrients are at the level I want as it is now, is there any reason for me to try to get green growth? If so, what would be the purpose?
From my experience an ATS or a Macro Growing Refugium kind of self regulates.

When nutrients are down, the growth slows down. Then when nutrients increase, it speeds up with more plentiful and frequent harvests.

Your ATS has run low on fuell. PERFECT! Just want you wanted.

So there is no need to add anything to increase harvests. Like you say, you got your N&P down, and that was your goal. The ATS ran more initially using up N&P, both in the water and possibly leaching out of your rocks (Difused into the water). The ATS did it work, and will continue running, on low speed Automatically.

This means you can feed your fish more, or continue feeding the same, since you are on target with N&P levels and stability is your goal (Low, but ABOVE ZERO, stable N&P)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience an ATS or a Macro Growing Refugium kind of self regulates.

When nutrients are down, the growth slows down. Then when nutrients increase, it speeds up with more plentiful and frequent harvests.

So there is no need to add anything to increase harvests. Like you say, you got your N&P down, and that was your goal. The ATS ran more do reduce you N&P, both in the water and possibly leaching out of your rocks (Difusing into the water).

This means you can feed your fish more, or continue doing as you are since you are on target and stability is your goal.
Thanks! Since it doesn't appear to be broken, I won't try to fix it then(brown or not).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back