Persistent brown growth 5 months

gurcuyo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've had a brown algae growth in my tank for over a month now and I can't pin down what it is. On the glass it comes off easily with a magnet cleaner. There are no trapped bubbles and no slime or stringiness to it.

The tank is a skimmerless Waterbox AIO 25 that started from dry rock and has been running about 4 months. All key parameters are stable, with nitrates constantly below 20 ppm. I'd been rinsing my filter sock in tap water, so I stopped that two weeks ago, suspecting that might have caused the algae bloom.

Would appreciate help with identifying the algae type and any suggestions on how to deal with it.



IMG_7029.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

IMG_7027.jpeg

IMG_7028.jpeg

IMG_7030.jpeg
 
"nitrates constantly below 20ppm".... to me thats high.
Do you perform regular water changes?
I don't see a powerhead on that glass, do you have any powerheads in the tank?
 
Upvote 0
"nitrates constantly below 20ppm".... to me thats high.
Do you perform regular water changes?
I don't see a powerhead on that glass, do you have any powerheads in the tank?
Thanks for looking!

I do 20% water changes every two weeks.

I am using the AIO waterbox Hidom AP-1500 return at 264 gph (single nozzle), no other powerhead beyond that.

Attaching a few other images for a full view of the tank



IMG_7037.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7035.jpeg
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new