Brown Algae on my live rock and sand bed

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 14.26 gallon all in one peninsula is 2 months old. And it has a lot of brown and green algae on the rock and the sand bed my lfs said to use Sera Siporax mini to build up a better bio filter. I used Microbelift Nite out and Special Blend to cycle it. Is there anything else I can do or should I just let it fix itself. I do not have any cuc. I Have a clownfish, two hammers, some zoas, some palys, candy coral, and a leptastrea

E6172735-F965-4F75-9784-6AC65A2FDCD3.jpeg

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd test your water first, lowering nitrates and phosphates is normally good, but overdoing it is problematic as well. If you're worried about your fish or coral's health just because of the presence of algae, take a breath. Unless your parameters are way out of whack, your critters will be fine. You can prevent algae from settling on your corals just by making sure they have proper flow and gently getting it off if any grow on before it becomes a problem. Take care not to irritate your corals by doing that as well.

Algae isn't really an enemy, its always going to be present in one way or another. Nitrates and phosphates are vital for your animal's health as well, so zeroing those out as a reaction to algae is a dangerous move that will invite in other nasties like dinoflagellates. I see a lot more harm by people over reacting to algae than just taking it slow and managing it at a good steady pace. Like I said, do some tests first and go from there.

PP123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi You need to add some CUC, snails for algae and detritus and control you nutrients by either feeding less or doing larger water changes.

OP
OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd test your water first, lowering nitrates and phosphates is normally good, but overdoing it is problematic as well. If you're worried about your fish or coral's health just because of the presence of algae, take a breath. Unless your parameters are way out of whack, your critters will be fine. You can prevent algae from settling on your corals just by making sure they have proper flow and gently getting it off if any grow on before it becomes a problem. Take care not to irritate your corals by doing that as well.

Algae isn't really an enemy, its always going to be present in one way or another. Nitrates and phosphates are vital for your animal's health as well, so zeroing those out as a reaction to algae is a dangerous move that will invite in other nasties like dinoflagellates. I see a lot more harm by people over reacting to algae than just taking it slow and managing it at a good steady pace. Like I said, do some tests first and go from there.
Ok thank you my nitrates are at 20 and my phosphate is 0.09

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like an emergency. Looks like natural progression. We all battle the algae. Some more than others.
Do you plan on getting a CUC eventually? I'd suggest a few snails as others mentioned, perhaps some hermits. See how they do. Your LFS isn't wrong either. The Sera Siporax in moderation, will likely help a bit in building the bio filter.
We're two months in here, and the ugly stages can oft rear their head for a few months down the road.
Best to you and your tank, it'll get there.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you my nitrates are at 20 and my phosphate is 0.09
Yeah, definitely within a safe range. You'll get both coral and algae growth at that rate. You can bottom those out to zero, but then you'll get neither coral or algae growth, and pave the way for dinoflagellates. As Rubberfrog said, definitely not an emergency. If there is something you'd like to change, you can do it slowly and stress free on your tank because its not an emergency. You have time to build up a clean up crew, add additional biological filtration, etc without the need for immediate action. You're at the point where you can safely manage with just water changes as well, but planning to deal with it more completely should be on the radar.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nuke, treat, attack. ???????

It is a normal part of a new tank cycle and Silicates are the main cause of diatoms. Diatoms mainly hit a new tank or areas with high silicates in the water from rock and sand. Brown Diatom is not an algae, but rather a single-celled organism that appears in an aquarium when there is an abundance of Silicates. Diatoms are a natural part of your reef aquarium maturing and although unsightly can be controlled. It is common knowledge that local tap water and well water contain contaminants that encourage the growth of brown algae in saltwater aquariums.
As the diatoms decompose, they release silicate back into the aquarium water. They can be difficult to remove from the rock and aquarium walls.

If it becomes bothersome, you can reduce white light intensity, add a pouch of chemipure blue and add the following snails:
Astrea
turbo grazer
cerith
margarita
nassarius
Nerite

A turkey baster blowing it loose and a toothbrush to help loosen can also be helpful

OP
OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuke, treat, attack. ???????

It is a normal part of a new tank cycle and Silicates are the main cause of diatoms. Diatoms mainly hit a new tank or areas with high silicates in the water from rock and sand. Brown Diatom is not an algae, but rather a single-celled organism that appears in an aquarium when there is an abundance of Silicates. Diatoms are a natural part of your reef aquarium maturing and although unsightly can be controlled. It is common knowledge that local tap water and well water contain contaminants that encourage the growth of brown algae in saltwater aquariums.
As the diatoms decompose, they release silicate back into the aquarium water. They can be difficult to remove from the rock and aquarium walls.

If it becomes bothersome, you can reduce white light intensity, add a pouch of chemipure blue and add the following snails:
Astrea
turbo grazer
cerith
margarita
nassarius
Nerite

A turkey baster blowing it loose and a toothbrush to help loosen can also be helpful
I have an rodi unit now but I was using distilled water the first month so that might be why but I will get a cuc and a spare toothbrush tomorrow

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank is just over 3 mo old and I have some algae but I think it’s in line with a tank this age and generally under control with just snails and chemipure blue. I’m no experienced reefer but I go by the slow and steady motto so if I were you I would do some mild scrubbing with a tooth brush, kick it around with a turkey baster and a water change after that and change my filter pad after a day then I’d add clean up crew, chemipure blue and wait. Reduced lighting may help if your blasting with high intensity light too.

image.jpg

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 14.26 gallon all in one peninsula is 2 months old. And it has a lot of brown and green algae on the rock and the sand bed my lfs said to use Sera Siporax mini to build up a better bio filter. I used Microbelift Nite out and Special Blend to cycle it. Is there anything else I can do or should I just let it fix itself. I do not have any cuc. I Have a clownfish, two hammers, some zoas, some palys, candy coral, and a leptastrea

E6172735-F965-4F75-9784-6AC65A2FDCD3.jpeg
Do the parameter checks like someone said first and do weekly water changes. Someone else mentioned CUC. Important to have a clean up crew for sure. Snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, copepods and many more. Do some research and keep in mind the size of the tank and compatability of livestock going in. Best of luck to you. Keep us updated.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back