Brown algae

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month or so, I’m getting A LOT of brown algae on the bed and glass. I thought it was diatoms, and maybe so. But it won’t go away. The only new thing I have done is added a refugium to my sump with the sump light on for 16 hours/day. Maybe this is the culprit? Or maybe my Radion G5 blues? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month or so, I’m getting A LOT of brown algae on the bed and glass. I thought it was diatoms, and maybe so. But it won’t go away. The only new thing I have done is added a refugium to my sump with the sump light on for 16 hours/day. Maybe this is the culprit? Or maybe my Radion G5 blues? Any input is greatly appreciated.
how long do you run your display tank lights? What all did you add to the refugium? What are your tank parameters most importantly the phosphate and nitrate? How often do you feed your tank? How old is your tank?

OP
OP
J

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long do you run your display tank lights? What all did you add to the refugium? What are your tank parameters most importantly the phosphate and nitrate? How often do you feed your tank? How old is your tank?
Display lights is 12 hours. Refugium is mostly chaeto and bio blocks (refugium starter kit). I also dose Brightwell Chaeto Gro. I feed mostly frozen twice/day. Tank is 13 years old. Parameters are salinity 1.026, Ca= 500 at the moment, Mg is around 1300, Alk is around 9.5. Haven’t tested Nitrate and Phosphate for a while, but those are usually high. Hence the refugium.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display lights is 12 hours. Refugium is mostly chaeto and bio blocks (refugium starter kit). I also dose Brightwell Chaeto Gro. I feed mostly frozen twice/day. Tank is 13 years old. Parameters are salinity 1.026, Ca= 500 at the moment, Mg is around 1300, Alk is around 9.5. Haven’t tested Nitrate and Phosphate for a while, but those are usually high. Hence the refugium.
Your main issues going to be nitrate and phosphate and your frozen feeding. I would cut back on the frozen food maybe supplement them with flake food. Also how much cheato gro do you dose that also could be it. Have you tried siphoning it out?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back