Brown Algae?

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See attached a picture of my tank, but with a horrible brown algae outbreak. First sign was about ten days ago, tank has been set up for a little under two months.
Should I just leave it and let my tank get overgrown, or should I remove it/get a clean up crew to eat it? Want to get into growing coral, but I will wait until this is over.

13 Gallon Aquatop AIO
Temp. 78 Degrees F Salinity: 35 PPT
Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 pH: 7.8-8.0 Nitrate: <10
Stock: One fancy clownfish 10-12 pounds live rock, 10 pounds live sand

diatoms.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At a glance, that appears to be diatoms which is a normal part of a new aquarium and the way that of processing excess silicates. I encourage you to do an R2R search on diatoms to confirm that is matches with what you are seeing in your tank as well as the related reason and cycle. Many people let diatoms run its course in a new tank, but you will also find treatments if you choose to take that route. Good luck!

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a glance, that appears to be diatoms which is a normal part of a new aquarium and the way that of processing excess silicates. I encourage you to do an R2R search on diatoms to confirm that is matches with what you are seeing in your tank as well as the related reason and cycle. Many people let diatoms run its course in a new tank, but you will also find treatments if you choose to take that route. Good luck!
Aye aye cap'n. Thank you!

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think this is diatoms. some things to keep in mind if it continues. What lights are you using? are they the appropriate lights? where are you getting your freshwater from?

but for now, you are good it is a natural part of the cycle. Clean up crew can be added if you want as they eat this stuff and its always a good sign. I would recommend turning the lights off completely for the next week or two.

You got this the tank looks amazing!!

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think this is diatoms. some things to keep in mind if it continues. What lights are you using? are they the appropriate lights? where are you getting your freshwater from?

but for now, you are good it is a natural part of the cycle. Clean up crew can be added if you want as they eat this stuff and its always a good sign. I would recommend turning the lights off completely for the next week or two.

You got this the tank looks amazing!!
This is the light I have on the way, link at the bottom of the comment. Right now I have the light that came with my AIO setup, and it is pretty awesome (aquatop skyaqua mini). My water is maybe with an RO/DI unit and instant ocean reef crystals salt.
I'll leave my light off for a little bit, and I can't get to my LFS for about a week anyways, so I will probably update this thread in time and see where the diatoms are at. Thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s a good time to start building your cuc. Start with hardy guys like hermits and an emerald crab.
Nassarius snails and a pistol shrimp are great for keeping the sandbed neat.

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s a good time to start building your cuc. Start with hardy guys like hermits and an emerald crab.
Nassarius snails and a pistol shrimp are great for keeping the sandbed neat.
Right on! Do you know exactly how much of what I should put in? Currently only has one clown, but I'd like to put another in as well since I started out with two.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is to always vacuum at least some portion of the sand bed during water change. (Python gravel vac syphon)

...but people's opinions on dealing with the sand bed vary greatly

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light I have on the way, link at the bottom of the comment. Right now I have the light that came with my AIO setup, and it is pretty awesome (aquatop skyaqua mini). My water is maybe with an RO/DI unit and instant ocean reef crystals salt.
I'll leave my light off for a little bit, and I can't get to my LFS for about a week anyways, so I will probably update this thread in time and see where the diatoms are at. Thanks!

Seems like you are on the right track my friend. keep us posted and we will go from there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back