Brown Algea

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank running for around 6 weeks now. I bought a new light and got it up and running about 2 weeks ago. I have brown algea everywhere and I have seen that brown algea in a new tank is ok. My question is, is it really? All water parameters are showing water quality is very good. 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia PH 8.0. Salinity is a little high at 36 or 37 but thats because I need to top off my tank with water. Another question is will it go away? I have 2 turbo snails, 2 nassrius snails, a tiger sand conch snail (which I have seen eat it) and 4 small/medium hermits. Will that do the trick?

Also will it turn into coralline algea ever or is that completely different?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like it might be diatoms. It is part of the "ugly" phase of a new tank. Once you verify that is what it is then you can look for ways to minimize it while you wait it out. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is what it is which I thought was the same thing as brown algea. Is it not? Either way, when you say wait it out, what does that mean? Like when does it go away? I am not worried about time, because I assume all tanks are different and I am learning patients, I am more so trying to understand what "done" actually means so I know what signs to look for. I did see some small green algea as well well I believe to be a good thing. Is that correct?

OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is what it is which I thought was the same thing as brown algea. Is it not? Either way, when you say wait it out, what does that mean? Like when does it go away? I am not worried about time, because I assume all tanks are different and I am learning patients, I am more so trying to understand what "done" actually means so I know what signs to look for. I did see some small green algea as well well I believe to be a good thing. Is that correct?
Here is a picture for reference just so I know for sure it is a diatom blooM.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 45

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you say wait it out, what does that mean? Like when does it go away?
When I transferred everything but the sand from a 90 gallon tank set up for 6 years to a 140 gallon with new sand, I had diatoms for about 3 months. It stinks, but you will likely be seeing different ugly algae for the first year or so.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a great resource for what to expect in the "algae cycle". It's a bit of a way into the article, so scroll down past the nitrogen cycle to the "Intermission" section.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back