Brown film on rainbow rhinos! help get it off!

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some beautiful Rainbow Rhinos. its 1 big polyp with 2 babies.

it has a slight brown film on the outside of it and it has been just barely open for about a week or so now. how do I get that off to help them?

peroxide or H2O2 dip?

suggestions?

thanks!

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to some of my Golden mauls and fellow reefer said that if you use 2ml of peroxide in a cup of tank water (adjust to how much water you need) and gently take a dropper and blow water across them for about 30sec's. I did this and within a few days they cleared up and fully opened. They did however did not open back up for the rest of the day though.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a Lugols dip for roughly 5 mins, then rub off whatever's left on the Zs with a Q tip soaked in peroxide. I tried the straight h202 dips in the past, and it works but its pretty harsh. The q tip seems to work better ime because your physically scrubbing it off instead of just a soak

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a Lugols dip for roughly 5 mins, then rub off whatever's left on the Zs with a Q tip soaked in peroxide. I tried the straight h202 dips in the past, and it works but its pretty harsh. The q tip seems to work better ime because your physically scrubbing it off instead of just a soak

what exactly is lugols?

andijo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugol's is iodine, basically. I also use a small soft bristle paint brush to manually debride them. I'm sure I'll be criticized for it, but it has been very effective for me.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it works it works lol. Im sure we all do some stuff in the reef hobby that other people dont do.
Lugol's is iodine, basically. I also use a small soft bristle paint brush to manually debride them. I'm sure I'll be criticized for it, but it has been very effective for me.

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so if I have just a small cup of water I add 2 ml of lugols then let the frag soak for a few minutes. then I take a Q tip soaked in peroxide and brush off the algae. then put it back in the water and its good??

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lugols might work, but if it is the brown crystalline growth on the outside of the Zoa, then in my experience this is about a 90% loss rate. When you dip it, if the outside starts to look clear then flak away remove the frag from your system and throw it away, the infection can spread and is fatal for zoas. I had something similar run through half of my Zoa frag tank a while back and wouldn't go away with any type of dip.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so if I have just a small cup of water I add 2 ml of lugols then let the frag soak for a few minutes. then I take a Q tip soaked in peroxide and brush off the algae. then put it back in the water and its good??

2 mL is too much in a small cup.If I remember correctly, a mL is roughly 25 drops. I think the dosage for a Lugols is 40 drops per gallon, or 10 drops a liter. I usually use 5 drops in 500 mL Dixie party cups.

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone for now if only a slight brown film of algae. Test your phosphate or put some phosguard to control your phosphate.

Some picture would help.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, been dealing with this for 3 weeks now, Like said previously, Its VERY hard to get rid of. Iv lost 100+ polyps and its still going.... I tried coral rx.... nothing. Then tried Peroxide dip... not much of anything. Then did a freshwater dip, which did absolutely nothing. I cant figure out what to do eather. Id quarenteen that zoa frag to stop from spreading, its already too late for me to qt at this point.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i see cyano or any film on my zoos I just use a baster and blow it off and try to add flow to that area. It happens mostly in my frag tank.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more flow and all that, but if its the same thing iv been dealing with, they close up for a few days, brown film then melt. Id get it out of your display ASAP.

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i see cyano or any film on my zoos I just use a baster and blow it off and try to add flow to that area. It happens mostly in my frag tank.

thanks josh! I havent done anything yet but ill start with this. i had a very slight dino outbreak about a week and a half about and its all gone now so it could be some left over on the zoa. ill see what happens and post it up

probably dinoflaggelettes

hopefully

Add more flow and all that, but if its the same thing iv been dealing with, they close up for a few days, brown film then melt. Id get it out of your display ASAP.

ha ill take this into consideration but I really do not think it is anything pandemic like that will sweep my tank but no reason to risk me being wrong!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the brown film on zoas before. Sometimes it clears itself and other times a peroxide dip has worked. Seachem Coral Dip and Revive had no effect on the stuff I had.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does not come off with a baster it is probably the crap I described earlier, I hope it isn't though.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Dino's for the past 6 months. What you are describing does sound like Dino. I blasted it away off my frags twice a day for a week. Finally did a 72 hr lights out..... This gave the frags time to recoup and when the lights came back on they were able to keep the Dino off them because they opened up right after lights came on.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 47 43.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.4%
Back