OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for the replies. I havent yet done a microscope check but this will be my next move. My uv is now connected up. I have a 1200lph pump which pumps into uv and then straight into skimmer. When I vac my rocks, it comes off very easily. I will send you a microscope pic ASAP and will then look to order some nitrate doser.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also up the feeding but should I turn my skimmer off completely for a while also while my lights are off?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also up the feeding but should I turn my skimmer off completely for a while also while my lights are off?
For oxygenation and help with pH you can leave it on.

If you want to increase nutrients by not skimming, you can just remove the cup.

But you will be dosing nutrients so it may be good to keep the cup on just to capture some of the microbes/waste in the water column.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For oxygenation and help with pH you can leave it on.

If you want to increase nutrients by not skimming, you can just remove the cup.

But you will be dosing nutrients so it may be good to keep the cup on just to capture some of the microbes/waste in the water column.
OK great thanks. And do you think I should do a full blackout by covering the tank with towels? Or is it enough to just leave the leds off?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK great thanks. And do you think I should do a full blackout by covering the tank with towels? Or is it enough to just leave the leds off?
Blackouts can make a dent in the population and tank usually looks better afterward, however the algae/Dino’s/chrysophyte always grew back in my tank.
But, I did not have UV in when doing the blackout so maybe that is the trick and it will work for you over the long term.
When doing blackout, always best to do total blackout. But make sure tank is getting fresh air.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see what looks like cyano which is a bacteria and not algae
Phosphates are contributors
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like cyano which is a bacteria and not algae
Phosphates are contributors
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
I mix my own water using rodi. Tds is always zero. I check this every time I mix a batch up

Will UV help with cyano ? I have some more googling to do! Thanks

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackouts can make a dent in the population and tank usually looks better afterward, however the algae/Dino’s/chrysophyte always grew back in my tank.
But, I did not have UV in when doing the blackout so maybe that is the trick and it will work for you over the long term.
When doing blackout, always best to do total blackout. But make sure tank is getting fresh air.
I'll see how I get on with no leds , uv, vacuuming and ill try to increase my nitrate bu feeding more. Failing this, I'll try a blackout. Ive only just added some corals and fish so don't want to cause any more stress for a while. Thanks for the advice

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I mix my own water using rodi. Tds is always zero. I check this every time I mix a batch up

Will UV help with cyano ? I have some more googling to do! Thanks
It can (UV)
Siphon up well, reduce white light intensity a little and what is your phosphate level ?
Once you know level, you can address level OR use chemical which will neutralize this bacteria

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can (UV)
Siphon up well, reduce white light intensity a little and what is your phosphate level ?
Once you know level, you can address level OR use chemical which will neutralize this bacteria
Phosphate is 0.08. I will start siphoning. My first siphoned today filled up a small sock! Unbelievable amounts came off the rocks. I dont have any way of siphoning the sand without stucking it up so ill probably just stir up the very top layer once per day. I just went to my lfs and he said not to bother with nitrate dosing but to just up the feeding? Can you reccomend a nitrate solution? Thanks

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Phosphate is 0.08. I will start siphoning. My first siphoned today filled up a small sock! Unbelievable amounts came off the rocks. I dont have any way of siphoning the sand without stucking it up so ill probably just stir up the very top layer once per day. I just went to my lfs and he said not to bother with nitrate dosing but to just up the feeding? Can you reccomend a nitrate solution? Thanks
I'VE also turned off my refugium light

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t stir sand. Instead, give it gentle blasts with a turkey baster and then siphon or net the loose matter

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the medium size one of these last week. It potentially works well, my current tank rock work is too much to effectively hoover up crap in my tank, but I got it for me new tank mainly.

https://www.swelluk.com/aquarium-sy...DblYS5q22LDSB-pj_g-qk4oX_Xv90Q6kaAuuUEALw_wcB

Be interested in seeing it under a microscope if you can.
The dino is like a crust on the sand. When I get a siophon vac on it, it sucks up the clumps but they are too heavy for the vac to fully suck up so I suck up the sand and the dinos stay circulating in the tube.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question about GFO and carbon which I run in a duel reactor.

I'm worried about the toxins released when dinos die off. Should I stick to my normal carbon amount or should I up my carbon quantities ?

I have removed my GFO inorder to increase my po4. This allows me to up the flow rate of the carbon. My GFO was fresh in last week and I don't want to waste it. Can I keep it in a container of water until I'm ready to use it again or is this not a good idea?

Thanks

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dino is like a crust on the sand. When I get a siophon vac on it, it sucks up the clumps but they are too heavy for the vac to fully suck up so I suck up the sand and the dinos stay circulating in the tube.
This is another sign of cyano rather than Dino’s.

If you decide to dose nitrate you can dose sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate.

Here is a good dosing calculator

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back