OP
AumedAbuTalib

AumedAbuTalib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For course of action i say do a 20% water change today and then wait 2 days and do another 20% that should hopefully bring you back to semi normal alk levels, nitrite is meh to corals they generally dont care about the nitrogen cycle.. if anything they like ammonia more then nitrate.

But the first step is to get that alk somewhere in the ball park of 7-11 dkh, normally i dont suggest chaning the dkh more then 0.8 in a two day period but since yours is already in timbucktoo id just be worried about getting back on the map
Thanks Lemons I will do water change 20%

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All parameter looks ok, but from one week, I see nitrites went up .25ppm or.20ppm I use Pro Reef Salt Bucket Tropic Marin. and one more thing my RODI water TDS is reading 3 maybe that's the issue. Water temp is high in Texas 80F now in tank
I myself use TM Pro and TM actif. TDS getting there but highest impact would be on phos as well as what you are feeding. Eighty is an acceptable high and I hear its in the triple digits in Tx.
You can for higher temps, , , , obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer

OP
OP
AumedAbuTalib

AumedAbuTalib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes now days are too hot in tx but today was windy thanks for the ice pack idea i will do that.

perimeters: Alk is 5.7 cal 420ppm, and nitrite is .30ppm. Water temp 80 to 79F.That is what I am seeing.

alk is low any suggestions to make all higher i did water change 20% today
I myself use TM Pro and TM actif. TDS getting there but highest impact would be on phos as well as what you are feeding. Eighty is an acceptable high and I hear its in the triple digits in Tx.
You can for higher temps, , , , obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
yes now days are too hot in tx but today was windy thanks for the ice pack idea i will do that.

perimeters: Alk is 5.7 cal 420ppm, and nitrite is .30ppm. Water temp 80 to 79F.That is what I am seeing.

Yes, alk super low. As I just mentioned to another person - assuming your readings are accurate, Add soda ash (BRS is good) diluted at 1 teaspoon at a time) daily to sump. Mine was low and now steady at 8.8 range. What salt mix are you using? (may be low in alk)
For nitrate, if you are feeding frozen food, may be overfeeding or check filter. Skimming helps as does an algae scrubber

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Talking about alk... I would dose kalkwasser.
Cheap and efficient.

Think that alkalinity is the fuel to corals.
They consume every day X amount of KH. The amount varies according to your how many and which type of corals. You should measure until find the pattern ( how much they "eat" everyday of kh) and then dose it.
Soda ash, kalkwassee, two part dosing, there are several methods to control levels of kh. No need to be fancy.

OP
OP
AumedAbuTalib

AumedAbuTalib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, alk super low. As I just mentioned to another person - assuming your readings are accurate, Add soda ash (BRS is good) diluted at 1 teaspoon at a time) daily to sump. Mine was low and now steady at 8.8 range. What salt mix are you using? (may be low in alk)
For nitrate, if you are feeding frozen food, may be overfeeding or check filter. Skimming helps as does an algae scrubber
I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea Salt. And yes, I am feeding frozen food. I skip two days and feed shrimp to the fish and nem and reef roid to the corals

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea Salt. And yes, I am feeding frozen food. I skip two days and feed shrimp to the fish and nem and reef roid to the corals
Be careful adding alk as it must balance with calcium. Calcium contributes to growth and alk will keep ph at safe level as it controls acids.
High calcium will reduce alk levels

OP
OP
AumedAbuTalib

AumedAbuTalib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about alk... I would dose kalkwasser.
Cheap and efficient.

Think that alkalinity is the fuel to corals.
They consume every day X amount of KH. The amount varies according to your how many and which type of corals. You should measure until find the pattern ( how much they "eat" everyday of kh) and then dose it.
Soda ash, kalkwassee, two part dosing, there are several methods to control levels of kh. No need to be fancy.
Thank you so much, Besskurz. I will get kalkwasser. There are two I see on the internet. Which one is good seacham one or bulk reef?

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, Besskurz. I will get kalkwasser. There are two I see on the internet. Which one is good seacham one or bulk reef?

I would by the cheapest lol I never heard bad things among both.
Keep in mind you need a vessel, something to measure the portion you will dilute, something to stirr and something later to drop the right amount into the tank like a syringe or pipette

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back