Starfish helping brown jelly disease

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2020
Messages
1,946
Reaction score
706
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m watching my starfish eat the brown jelly off my coral that currently has brown jelly diseases. Maybe a good way to help treat it?
 
It appears he is even removing the tentacles that are affected and leaving the ones that are clean
 
It’s hard to get images of him he gets scared away from light but I’m watching him do such a amazing job of eating the jelly right now he’s putting his tentacles on it and lightly pulling the jelly out and not hurting the coral at all
 
Just curious to see if we can get a reasonably specific ID to track if this is something that might be consistent within a certain species/genus/family.
Will do was a little worried at first that you may thought he was using the coral as a meal but now it’s dark in the tank I’m using phone light and he’s carefully pulling the brown jelly and has not seem to hurt the coral at all or bother it
 
Will do was a little worried at first that you may thought he was using the coral as a meal but now it’s dark in the tank I’m using phone light and he’s carefully pulling the brown jelly and has not seem to hurt the coral at all or bother it
Did this seem to resolve the issue??
 
Did this seem to resolve the issue??
The coral ended up dying but I do think the starfish helped in giving it increased odds. I do have lots of other touch corals and I do see him carefully move around them at night and other corals I’d definitely keep them in more tanks now
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new