Brown jelly disease? Or could it be too much light?

Wilfried

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am hoping that I did something stupid... Hear me out: Two of my Euphyllia type corals are showing very clear symptoms of Brown Jelly Disease. But I'm hoping that I am mistaking these signs for something else.

Recently I bumped up the UV light on my tank. I am lighting my 500ltrs with 5 AI Hydra26HD units, of which I increased the UV lighting by 60%. And I added some Orphek OR3 light that are very heavy on the UV. It's so pretty! All seemed well. A few weeks after that I moved two Euphyllia type coral higher in the tank on top of some rocks.

These are now showing signs that look so much like Brown Jelly. But I am hoping that I've just been roasting them. Any way I can tell? What does burnt LPS look like? Does it get a thick brown coating on top? The rest of my corals that I hadn't moved are looking very well.

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lighting isnt a direct cause but anything that could be causing stress can make it more likely to get bacterial illness. do you feed directly

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting or any change can stress which can lead to bjd.
If the coral is ejecting a dark brown mass (zooxanthelle), this may be a reaction to light or temperature increase.
If the brown mass is transparent and tentacles are dissolving, that is bjd.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly acts really fast. If it is brown jelly, then you can take the coral out of the tank and the part under the brown jelly will be destroyed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back