Brown Jelly Syndrome ciliates under microscope

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
4,214
Reaction score
8,691
Location
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several of my corals are suffering from BJS.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 6.48.39 PM.png

While cleaning them up and dipping them, I took some time to view some samples under my microscope. It's really fascinating to watch these ciliates move. According to the research I've done, I believe these are Helicostoma nonatum.

In this video, I start out at 80x, then increase the magnification to 200x and then 2000x.



The video was shot with my iPhone attached to the microscope eyepiece. I can also shoot still images with my DSLR attached:

IMG_4808.thumb.jpg.97ef47396db3d6a292941fccf07e58a5.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new