Brown paint on my rocks

Mike 1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2025
Messages
43
Reaction score
22
Location
England
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers? What is this hard, non dusty, non slimey coating on my rocks?Tank is 6 month old. I already have had experience with diatoms, cyano and dinos and know it is non of those. Keeps appearing on glass too, very grainy when scraping.
20250728_174736_657D2260-E226-42A1-9C0E-6FC66A43BDBF.png
 
Hi fellow reefers? What is this hard, non dusty, non slimey coating on my rocks?Tank is 6 month old. I already have had experience with diatoms, cyano and dinos and know it is non of those. Keeps appearing on glass too, very grainy when scraping.
20250728_174736_657D2260-E226-42A1-9C0E-6FC66A43BDBF.png
Bump. Very interesting.
 
Hi fellow reefers? What is this hard, non dusty, non slimey coating on my rocks?Tank is 6 month old. I already have had experience with diatoms, cyano and dinos and know it is non of those. Keeps appearing on glass too, very grainy when scraping.
20250728_174736_657D2260-E226-42A1-9C0E-6FC66A43BDBF.png
I have a chunk of the brown stuff on a piece of my rock as well. Just noticed it last night. Did you use dry rock?
 
Hi fellow reefers? What is this hard, non dusty, non slimey coating on my rocks?Tank is 6 month old. I already have had experience with diatoms, cyano and dinos and know it is non of those. Keeps appearing on glass too, very grainy when scraping.
20250728_174736_657D2260-E226-42A1-9C0E-6FC66A43BDBF.png
I have a chunk of the brown stuff on a piece of my rock as well. Just noticed it last night. Did you use dry rock?
Hi there, I did indeed, it went quite a dark green before, then this creosote substance started showing up. Had a few battles, water is in the optimum range for all measures,however struggle together ph to over 8.
 
Hi fellow reefers? What is this hard, non dusty, non slimey coating on my rocks?Tank is 6 month old. I already have had experience with diatoms, cyano and dinos and know it is non of those. Keeps appearing on glass too, very grainy when scraping.
20250728_174736_657D2260-E226-42A1-9C0E-6FC66A43BDBF.png
Bump. Very interesting.
Yup thanks Tinnerito, how do I bump? Do I just re-do the post to another group? If so which group?
 
I can't make a lot out from your pictures, but could this be coralline algae? Coralline is typically vibrant shades of purple and pink, not brown, but otherwise it fits the description of a hard, non-dusty, non-slimy coating on the rocks, and it typically comes at about the 6 month mark..... Just thinking out loud here 😃
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new