brown residue in reservoir

Battlecorals

Vivat imitator!
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
8,834
Reaction score
20,928
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cleaning my reservoir this weekend and the brown stuff has been really stubborn.

I’ve got about 2.5 bottles of 10x vinegar in there and roughly 200 gallons since Friday and it hasn’t really done a thing

Wondering if it just needs more time or if there is a better way

This was before I added the vinegar

IMG_0644.jpeg
 
Citric acid does the job usually. If not and you feel comfortable Muriatic acid cleans the best! Citric acid always works for me but sometimes requires some elbow grease with scrubbing.
 
I've never tried vinegar for the brown sludge, but I wouldn't expect that to work. I find I have to scrub the brown sludge out of the bucket.
 
Citric acid does the job usually. If not and you feel comfortable Muriatic acid cleans the best! Citric acid always works for me but sometimes requires some elbow grease with scrubbing.
yeah I should have went with citric friends suggested that as well. the vinegar was at my disposal so I used that instead lol. I have been pressure washing the walls as well with little progress there either. almost like its permeated the actual plastic. is that possible
 
yeah I should have went with citric friends suggested that as well. the vinegar was at my disposal so I used that instead lol. I have been pressure washing the walls as well with little progress there either. almost like its permeated the actual plastic. is that possible
Citric acid should remove it all. Sometimes it takes a scrubbing followed with more soak time. I’ll usually fill my bins with tap water. Add citric acid. Throw in some powerheads/pumps that need cleaning and let them run to keep water movement. Runs over night. Then do a scrub and continue running everything. By days end it should all be cleaned. Then just a rinse in rodi for everything and good to go. Everything comes out new looking/sparkly clean. It takes a bit of citric acid to fill a reservoir though. I’ll just buy a bag off Amazon and throw it in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.9%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new