Brown Smooth Hound Shark?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking for a Brown Smooth Hound Shark (Mustelus henlei), not to be confused with a Grey Smooth Hound shark (Mustelus Californicus) as these get much larger. I cannot find any stores that carry them, so I think my only route would be to find a diver for hire in the California area. If anyone knows some place that could obtain one or divers, please let me know. Thank you.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try asking Matsu Collections. I could have sworn I saw Mustelus henlei on their species list before, but I guess not.
P.S. what kind of system do you plan on building for this elasmobranch?
Well I currently have a 8' x 4' x 2' 400 gallon aquarium, which the average growth for these species are around 2', larger specimens can reach up to 30" and max out at 32". So I should be able to accommodate the 10x square foot area and 4x the length 2x width requirements also to keep this shark happy. It is the smallest dogfish/hound shark that I know of.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try asking Matsu Collections. I could have sworn I saw Mustelus henlei on their species list before, but I guess not.
P.S. what kind of system do you plan on building for this elasmobranch?
Also thanks for the recommendation, got in contact with someone right away and they're getting in touch with fisherman in the area as they are typically found at water levels too deep to dive for.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If anyone knows another possible source for these please let me know, doesn't hurt to have options.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone knows another possible source for these please let me know, doesn't hurt to have options.
Sadly, I don't know of any other suppliers that could obtain brown houndsharks.
Just in case, here is a list of coldwater marine life sources I compiled:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...stock-sources-please-give-suggestions.850954/

Did you have any success with Matsu?
It is the smallest dogfish/hound shark that I know of.
Houndsharks belong to the family Triakidae. Dogfish belong to the unrelated family, Squalidae (there are catsharks that are called dogfish, though).

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sadly, I don't know of any other suppliers that could obtain brown houndsharks.
Just in case, here is a list of coldwater marine life sources I compiled:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...stock-sources-please-give-suggestions.850954/

Did you have any success with Matsu?

Houndsharks belong to the family Triakidae. Dogfish belong to the unrelated family, Squalidae (there are catsharks that are called dogfish, though).
I talked to Matsu and they told me they couldn't dive for them bc they live at depths too deep, but they would get in contact with fisherman in the area to see if they could get them.

cleon1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Matsu and they told me they couldn't dive for them bc they live at depths too deep, but they would get in contact with fisherman in the area to see if they could get them.
Hey any luck with finding the shark? I’m also looking for one lol

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Still no luck unfortunately . I talked to someone at Live Rock N Reef who claimed they could get them, but I am pretty much certain they are talking about Grey Smooth hounds because they claimed they can get to 5' long. Meanwhile I spoke with a marine biologist and PhD candidate that work for the Florida Museum that dismissed that stating that they can grow to a max of 3' while averaging out at 2'

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet might be some pier fishing Extremely common at San Francisco Bay piers; one of the most numerous fish at some piers. Best bets: Fort Baker Pier, Angel Island Pier, Port View Park Pier, and all piers along the San Francisco waterfront.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Best bet might be some pier fishing Extremely common at San Francisco Bay piers; one of the most numerous fish at some piers. Best bets: Fort Baker Pier, Angel Island Pier, Port View Park Pier, and all piers along the San Francisco waterfront.
Yeah I talked to a guy at Matsu collections who got in contact with fisherman in the area but they haven't caught one yet.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, I don't think catching and keeping wild California marine life without a permit is legal with the exception of some seaweed outside MPA's. I only focused on Southern California, though, so San Francisco might be different.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I have read, I don't think catching and keeping wild California marine life without a permit is legal with the exception of some seaweed outside MPA's. I only focused on Southern California, though, so San Francisco might be different.
If you Google brown smooth hound shark there are a couple of images of people catching them on piers in SF. Far as permits go I have no clue but I'd assume Matsu would have any permits they needed since they are a public aquarium specialty provider.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1659996742375.png

Lucky kid.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is just keeping it fresh until the day he decides to eat it ;)

But honestly, fishing is certainly not illegal. I see this brought up occasionally and have to wonder if this is actually a real concern, like F&G is gonna show up someday and say “hey man, you are only supposed to kill and eat fish, why is that still alive?!”

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back