Brown stuff coming out of my frogspawn coral help

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got Dr Tim’s re fresh and waste away because I have a Dino our rake and I turned my lights out suddenly witch my corals are not used to they all closed up normal and I dosed the dr time re fresh in my tank 30 minutes latter I check on the tank and my frogspawn coral is spewing out brown stuff out of its mouth is this a sighn of stress maybe because I turned the lights out and they didn’t ramp down or is the coral just pooping.

image.jpg image.jpg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is it expelling zooxanthellae as stated above. It's a sign of stress. A water change would help it. I would also stop dosing. Not a fan of chemicals, more of a fan of going the natural route.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely expelling zooxanthellae because of the waste away and refresh, which isn't a good sign.

Watch for "bleaching" of the tissue.
Okay will it be alright this is what it looks like now. He looks like he calmed down a bit looks good to me

image.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay will it be alright this is what it looks like now. He looks like he calmed down a bit looks good to me

image.jpg

Hard to tell with the lights off. It's extended, so that's a good sign. When they expell zooxanthellae, they may loose some color. It's like throwing up to them.

Now BJD is totally different and could be a sign of a bacterial infection. That's most likely not the case this time given the dosing of Dr.tims.

Just keep a eye out for BJD and I would lower your light intensity a bit for a short period, like a couple days. Will help with the stress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its their way of going Poopy

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with the lights off. It's extended, so that's a good sign. When they expell zooxanthellae, they may loose some color. It's like throwing up to them.

Now BJD is totally different and could be a sign of a bacterial infection. That's most like not the case this time given the dosing of Dr.tims.

Just keep a eye out for BJD and I would lower your light intensity a bit for a short period, like a couple days. Will help with the stress.
I don’t think it’s the dr tims I think it’s my light because my lights usually ramp down from there post intesnse stage and maybe me turning them off might have made him stressed a little

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the dr tims I think it’s my light because my lights usually ramp down from there post intesnse stage and maybe me turning them off might have made him stressed a little

My lights go off all at once and I have never seen my euphyllia expell anything. My bet is the waste away.

My "torch garden":

DSC_0235.JPG

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to some type of stressor the coral has expelled some zooxanthellae which may cause the coral to start bleaching or turning white and possibly BJD. To help the coral from bleaching or turning white and possibly dying turn down the intensity of your lighting for a period of time and then slowly go back to original settings

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to some type of stressor the coral has expelled some zooxanthellae which may cause the coral to start bleaching or turning white and possibly BJD. To help the coral from bleaching or turning white and possibly dying turn down the intensity of your lighting for a period of time and then slowly go back to original settings
Probably just went poop that’s what I think now

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will he survive the rest of the 2 day blackout

I went through a black out for 81 hours trying to deal with dinoflagellates. Ostreopsis. No luck.

Anyway, all my corals did fine. Health of your corals going into the black out will determine if they will come out of it okay. Typical for them to go through periods of darkness during shipping. 3-4 days is typical. Should be okay.

Side note:

I beat my dinoflagellates by raising my temp to 80 degrees, that was around two weeks ago. I tried everything in the book and raising the temp was the only thing that worked. Your milage may vary.

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to figure out why you got dinoflagellates in the first place. I had them. I tried blacking out the tank and all that. This did not work because I wasn't fixing the root of the problem. They would bounce back quickly,

My problem ending up being too low nutrients in my tank. So, I decided to feed my tank more to increase my nitrates and did not do water changes for 2 months. This caused other algae to out compete my dinoflagellates. Now I am dino-free for the past 3 months.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to figure out why you got dinoflagellates in the first place. I had them. I tried blacking out the tank and all that. This did not work because I wasn't fixing the root of the problem. They would bounce back quickly,

My problem ending up being too low nutrients in my tank. So, I decided to feed my tank more to increase my nitrates and did not do water changes for 2 months. This caused other algae to out compete my dinoflagellates. Now I am dino-free for the past 3 months.
That’s why I am using dr Tim’s waste away because it will kill whatever alage it is and then turn it into bacteria that is eventually removed by the skimmer. And then I can dose some phosphates to make the Dino’s go away for good. The reason I have Dino’s is because the last test I took my phosphates we very low 0.03

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I am using dr Tim’s waste away because it will kill whatever alage it is and then turn it into bacteria that is eventually removed by the skimmer. And then I can dose some phosphates to make the Dino’s go away for good. The reason I have Dino’s is because the last test I took my phosphates we very low 0.03

Great news. If .03 is considder low I am in deep well you know,
My phos is .018.

Back