BRS 150gpd RO upgrade

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to drop a line about the BRS 150gpd RO upgrade. Being on a well, my water pressure hovers around 45psi... Even though I have a 75gpd membrane, I was only making about 40gpd. RO membranes work best at pressures about 50psi.. due to a new (larger) saltwater tank, I decided I wanted to double my RO output .. I ordered their upgrade along w/ a pressure pump. All installed last nite and I'm making a lot more water now. output of RO is 1tds (prior to pressure pump, I was running between 2 & 3 tds). Currently I'm considering this a Win. If anything changes in near future, I will update my post.

DiverJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered about the upgrade kit. This might be something to look into down the road. Thanks for the info Lee.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what your tds looks like out of the tap on well? My city water seems to be fairly low around here (140-150)

OP
OP
H

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS out of well is around 380.. softener raises it to approx 450. Softened water is MUCH better on RO membrane than hard water. Maybe worth investigating even if on city (depending on hardness of city water). its my understanding that the calcium in hard water is bad for membrane)

From an online source: Reverse osmosis systems should be fed with soft water to prolong filter and membrane life. Typically, filters and membranes need to be replaced twice as often if fed with hard, city water. RO systems should not be fed with raw well water if it contains any iron or sulfur.

Last edited:

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too bought the 75 gpd upgrade kit earlier this year. I have been VERY PLEASED about how well it works. I have city water and the pressure coming out of my tap can easily reach 100 psi(guess i am lucky here in Silver Spring, MD). I have to turn it down to about 80. Before the upgrade kit, I was wasting 3 gallons of water for every 1 gallon of RODI water I make. Now I am only wasting about 1.2 gallon for every 1 gallon of RODI I make.
I would say that's a great deal!!!

LornaS

Livin on the Salty Side
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just remember if using city of Fort Wayne water you may want to check into a chloromine or chlorine block, off the top of my head I am not sure whether the city uses chlorine or chloromine, maybe someone can chip in?

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just remember if using city of Fort Wayne water you may want to check into a chloromine or chlorine block, off the top of my head I am not sure whether the city uses chlorine or chloromine, maybe someone can chip in?
I've been wondering as well. I tried searching around a bit awhile ago with no luck but really didn't put much effort into it.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome find Lee! If anyone feels like calling that number given for an update please post.

OP
OP
H

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find contact info below... Here's a thought... considering a majority of club members are on city utilities for their water and considering we put that water into our tanks (after some special processing by us), perhaps we should plan a tour of the filtration plant (same phone number as below to sched tour).. we could convey what we do to our water they deliver to us and they could tell us what they do to it before it reaches us as well as discuss the chlorine/chloramine issue.. Lastly, I think FWA water utility is supposed to switch over to (or already has) UV disinfection which would greatly reduce how much chlorine/chloramine they add to their delivered water.

[h=3]Tours[/h][h=3]
gi_waterfiltration.jpg
[/h]The City of Fort Wayne offers tours of the Three Rivers Water Filtration Plant and the Water Pollution Control Plant (WPCP). These tours are usually offered to students from third grade level upwards. This is a wonderful way to teach young residents where their drinking water comes from and how wastewater is handled when it leaves their homes.
For more information about:
  • the Three Rivers Water Filtration Plant (Drinking Water) tours, call 427-1314
  • the Water Pollution Control Plant (Waste water) tours, call 427-2427

OP
OP
H

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont have a date on this document but it says they use both chlorine and chloramines: http://www.acwater.org/sites/default/files/file/publications/WaterQuality.pdf

Three Rivers Water Filtration Plant
Allen County Partnership for Water Quality
3718 New Vision Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46845
Phone: (260)484-5848 ext. 111
Fax: (260) 484-5080
City of Fort Wayne · City of New Haven ·
Allen County
Fort Wayne's Three Rivers Water Filtration Plant was
constructed in 1933 with a capacity to produce 24 million
gallons of treated water per day (MGD). Major additions
in 1955 and 1981 tripled the capacity of the plant to 72
MGD.
Not only does the plant provide drinking water to the
residents of Fort Wayne, its supply also reaches residents
of New Haven, Lutheran Hospital at Jefferson & I69,
Parkview Hospital North, St. Joseph Hospital on Dupont
Road, and AQUASOURCE customers in Aboite
Township during the summer months.
The plant uses a combination of chemicals including:
chlorine dioxide and chloramine for disinfection; lime
and carbon dioxide for softening; ferric sulfate for
flocculation; and powdered activated carbon to remove
organic chemicals, pesticides, and odor-causing natural
organic material. Rapid sand filtration removes
particulate matter and cryptosporidium. Fluoride is
added at a rate of 1 mg/L to help prevent tooth decay

LornaS

Livin on the Salty Side
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the update they just did to the plant last year was to install the uv filtration. I think I may give them a call and find out what they use.....stay tuned

OP
OP
H

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme know what you find out.. when I called, I got a recording. and, yes, I think in one of my posts above I also mention their newly installed (?) UV sterilization.. it wont get rid of Chlorine or Chloramines all-together, but is supposed to drastically reduce how much is in our water.

GrampaDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Klaus swears FW uses chloramines. << Regardless I started with and still replenish my Chloramine Special RO/DI.
I also recently upgraded to add the BRS kit. And boy is it great. So far TDS going in is around 250 and 3 going out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back