BRS 360 coral introduced without QT?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if Ryan from BRS and his 360 tank discussed his method for introducing coral, but from his latest YT video, it seems like he received 8 boxes of LPS and threw them into the tank.

I'm wondering if, depending on the vendor he received the coral from, he's comfortable that they sufficiently QT'd them all for him to ensure no parasites were introduced into the tank?

Or is it not a concern because he's running UV?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if Ryan from BRS and his 360 tank discussed his method for introducing coral, but from his latest YT video, it seems like he received 8 boxes of LPS and threw them into the tank.

I'm wondering if, depending on the vendor he received the coral from, he's comfortable that they sufficiently QT'd them all for him to ensure no parasites were introduced into the tank?

He's running dual UV's and honestly, that's how 90% of us are going to do it.

I have a frag tank that I usually put all new coral in for a month before moving them to the display. But anything coming in on those frags could wipe out my frag tank.

View Badges

I think he did address this. Even if he didn’t, he’s long been of the opinion “QT would be awesome, but I can’t realistically do it well, so /shrug”.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he did address this. Even if he didn’t, he’s long been of the opinion “QT would be awesome, but I can’t realistically do it well, so /shrug”.
Well, I see he just added a $10k+ masked Angel fish into his tank, so I'm assuming he's getting livestock that has already been QT'd.

Plus, like I assumed, he's probably betting on the UV sterilizers to manage pathogens if/when they get introduced by not QT'ing.

View Badges
Well, I see he just added a $10k+ masked Angel fish into his tank, so I'm assuming he's getting livestock that has already been QT'd.

Plus, like I assumed, he's probably betting on the UV sterilizers to manage pathogens if/when they get introduced by not QT'ing.

he 100% buys QT’d fish, I believe from TSM… whoever “Eliot” is.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found my answer!

He discusses his opinions on QT in the YouTube BRS TV segment "Is True Saltwater Fish Quarantine Real or Even Possible?"

Towards the middle of the video, he mentions that he just introduced a load of coral into his 360, but did not (and does not) plan on QTing coral.

He did mention it's a risk, BUT, that he runs UV to help manage IF anything got into the tank.

I guess it will be interesting to see when his eDNA test comes back to see if anything got in!

Sea_Shanty_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found my answer!

He discusses his opinions on QT in the YouTube BRS TV segment "Is True Saltwater Fish Quarantine Real or Even Possible?"

Towards the middle of the video, he mentions that he just introduced a load of coral into his 360, but did not (and does not) plan on QTing coral.

He did mention it's a risk, BUT, that he runs UV to help manage IF anything got into the tank.

I guess it will be interesting to see when his eDNA test comes back to see if anything got in!
Dual UVs is definitely a "safety blanket" of sorts. I'll be interested in how this system evolves, and if he owns if anything dies / crashes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back