BRS Apex “value edition”? Am I missing something?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the BRS email about the “value” edition apex. Hmmm…..ph-check, orp-check, temp- check, salinity-oh, no salinity probe included “to save you money”…..just not a lot of money. I run a orp probe on my system but is it necessary? Is it really useful in the grand scheme of things? On a “value” system without a salinity probe? How many different ways does an Apex system need to be packaged? Just curious.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…..and I know orp is useful with ozone and whatnot. I’m not arguing that. Just that on a “value” edition that doesn’t even include salinity doesn’t make sense to me. But not much does these days. I feel like I’m turning into the old guy that yells at you to get my lawn or turn down the music!

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
…..and I know orp is useful with ozone and whatnot. I’m not arguing that. Just that on a “value” edition that doesn’t even include salinity doesn’t make sense to me. But not much does these days. I feel like I’m turning into the old guy that yells at you to get my lawn or turn down the music!
Post was kind of loud. Hurt my ears to read.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The salinity probe is a piece of junk (this goes for all salinity probes. It this the technology that sucks) and not needed in any way.

So save $150 and save yourself the headache of using a pointless probe. Sounds like a win win to me. What would be even better is package it with the EB8 and skip the 832. Drop another $130 off the price and only lose a piece of junk power bar.

What would be even better is a Build Your Own style of setup where you piece it together and get a certain percentage off the whole thing.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex salinity probe is hugely inaccurate. The Hydros system doesn't even offer a salinity probe because they haven't found one that they think is accurate and consistent enough to be worth running.

Frankly, if removing the salinity probe saved me $5, I'm all for it. They're junk.

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got same email this morning too. I'm still debating whether or not to jump into the aquarium controller universe, then if it's Neptune or Hydros? Looking at this, it does conjure up some recent events with Ecotech releasing their G6 fixtures (with both companies being under the same umbrella).

G5 goes on sale, then a few weeks later G6 is announced. Is Neptune, or parent company Apature, pulling the same trick with the Apex controller? Neptune Apex 2022 Edition?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got same email this morning too. I'm still debating whether or not to jump into the aquarium controller universe, then if it's Neptune or Hydros? Looking at this, it does conjure up some recent events with Ecotech releasing their G6 fixtures (with both companies being under the same umbrella).

G5 goes on sale, then a few weeks later G6 is announced. Is Neptune, or parent company Apature, pulling the same trick with the Apex controller? Neptune Apex 2022 Edition?

I would be shocked to see a new Apex personally. I think this is their way of getting around the worldwide probe shortage. The salinity probe has been backordered forever. So they can't sell the FULL package. This way they can and get rid of the crappy salinity probe.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be shocked to see a new Apex personally. I think this is their way of getting around the worldwide probe shortage. The salinity probe has been backordered forever. So they can't sell the FULL package. This way they can and get rid of the crappy salinity probe.

My salinity probe works fine. It would be interesting to see the break down though between users. That would be some great data to look at.

I wouldn't read too much into it though. 150 bucks or whatever is the saving could be a big deal to some. So why not.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex salinity probe is hugely inaccurate. The Hydros system doesn't even offer a salinity probe because they haven't found one that they think is accurate and consistent enough to be worth running.

Frankly, if removing the salinity probe saved me $5, I'm all for it. They're junk.
I actually like mine. Sure it doesn’t calibrate quite right and the value is off by quite a bit, but it does tell me when it shifts one way or the other. Once I kept the micro bubbles out of it, it’s been pretty solid. I just know the actual value from a different device and pin that to the wacko number the apex comes up. Anytime the apex goes up or down, I check it against another device and the value did in fact go up or down. Definitely not perfect but it works for monitoring the trend.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe is a piece of junk (this goes for all salinity probes. It this the technology that sucks) and not needed in any way.

So save $150 and save yourself the headache of using a pointless probe. Sounds like a win win to me. What would be even better is package it with the EB8 and skip the 832. Drop another $130 off the price and only lose a piece of junk power bar.

What would be even better is a Build Your Own style of setup where you piece it together and get a certain percentage off the whole thing.
I’m with ya there. I never “upgraded” from my good ol apex gold. It just works. I’ve had it over several different tanks and it’s been solid. I would like to go trident, I’ve lost most my vision so testing is impossible for me, but I dont want to mess with what’s been flawless. I’ve heard about the eb832 issues. I have had several eb8’s and a couple EB4 for almost ten years now without a single problem….knock on wood. I just think of the apex el as the “value” edition. I guess I equate value with like the beginner version.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe is super useful. As long as you follow the proper calibration procedure and don't stick it right next to the output of a protien skimmer, it is stupidly accurate. Conductivity is extremely temperature dependent (2.2-2.8% variation per degree celcius), so if you follow the advice of the BRS video and just stick it in a room temperature calibration packet, it's gonna be way off.

I have one on each tank and one in my NSW barrel and use them to supervise both ATO and auto water change. Both will stop and alert me if conductivity falls out of range.

The only time mine gets "unreliable" is when the sensor gets gunked up with algae (my sensor chamber is in my refugium unfortunately on one tank. No better location) and it takes 30 seconds to brush it off real quick knock out the air bubbles and its back to normal.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My salinity probe works fine. It would be interesting to see the break down though between users. That would be some great data to look at.

I wouldn't read too much into it though. 150 bucks or whatever is the saving could be a big deal to some. So why not.

I'd have to find the poll on the BRS Facebook group but it was something like 70% had issues with the salinity probe. How much of that is user error I'm not sure. Doesn't matter though because you can make the best items on earth but if the average person can't use them, they're pointless.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My salinity sensor has worked great in my new sump where there is constant flow over it. Just this morning the dropping salinity alerted me to an issue. I filled my AWC barrel but forgot to add salt. It was sitting at 21 ppt.
1653682060791.png

EB832 is great. I have 2 that have worked without issue for over 2 years. In particular the 24V and 1link is very useful. For 1link I use 2 DOS and my Trident. 24V has GRO light and PMUP for ATK. Less bricks and cords is great.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to find the poll on the BRS Facebook group but it was something like 70% had issues with the salinity probe. How much of that is user error I'm not sure. Doesn't matter though because you can make the best items on earth but if the average person can't use them, they're pointless.

That is a large number on the surface without knowing the finer details like sample size. But your point is valid. Can't use them, pointless.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'value' edition is the EL. No salinity, orp or dimming. Add modules later if you change your mind.
No is apparently a new package that seems to just remove the salinity probe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back