BRS-GFO/Carbon Reactor

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am thinking about getting a GFO/Carbon reactor but am a bit, confused, about a few things and wanted to see if anyone can explain. They may be stupid questions but I just don't fully understand it.

Now when it comes to the Carbon, is it the carbon itself that is filtering the water, like a filter floss? Or is it the enzymes absorbing things in the water?

When it comes to GFO, is there a real benefit to it, or is it a waste of time? Like, how beneficial, really is it? I was also told GFO can cause issues with Refugiums? Is this true?

Has anyone had any luck with the BRS Reactor?

Appreciate any help!

Last edited:

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS two stage reactor and I love it. Setup was easy using one of the manifolds on my waterbox return. I got the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon and it rinses clean in seconds. I have not put any GFO in yet as my phosphates are not an issue. If/when I have an issue with phosphate, I can add the GFO in minutes and begin filtering it out.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon is "filtering" items from the water but dont confuse it with a filter. We generally use it to remove contaminants and for water clarity (removes any tint from the water which is why use it). The GFO is used to remove phosphates from the water, nothing else. If you dont have phosphate levels higher than desired, you have no reason to use it. Neither is a must, they serve a specific function that you may want/need.

Last edited:

Ultijekyll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS two stage reactor and I love it. Setup was easy using one of the manifolds on my waterbox return. I got the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon and it rinses clean in seconds. I have not put any GFO in yet as my phosphates are not an issue. If/when I have an issue with phosphate, I can add the GFO in minutes and begin filtering it out.

Did you use the hard tubing that came with the reactor or did you purchase other tubing? I am not 100% feeling good about the hook up to my manifold on my WB 5526 Peninsula with the tubing provided?

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the hard tubing that came with the reactor or did you purchase other tubing? I am not 100% feeling good about the hook up to my manifold on my WB 5526 Peninsula with the tubing provided?
I used the hard tubing, but I made an adapter to my WB manifold. I bought another push connector that was threaded on the other end. I threaded that into a PVC connector. On the other end I put a barbed fitting and I connected to the WB manifold with vinyl tubing. Worked great. I'm sure there are a million ways to plumb it, but that was fast and cheap and worked. If you would like a picture, let me know and I'll get you one when I get home today.

Ultijekyll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome of you could do that
I used the hard tubing, but I made an adapter to my WB manifold. I bought another push connector that was threaded on the other end. I threaded that into a PVC connector. On the other end I put a barbed fitting and I connected to the WB manifold with vinyl tubing. Worked great. I'm sure there are a million ways to plumb it, but that was fast and cheap and worked. If you would like a picture, let me know and I'll get you one when I get home today.

That would be awesome of you could do that. I am sure I am not the first to look at the tubing and go how am I to hook that to my pump/manifold

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome of you could do that

That would be awesome of you could do that. I am sure I am not the first to look at the tubing and go how am I to hook that to my pump/manifold
Sorry it took me so long to post, but here is the adapter I fashioned.
IMG_20191117_142948.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back