BRS heaters pulling more electricity than stated

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I will post one story on running a circuit close to max. I got a call from my daughter her break
Personally I'd just skip plugging it into the Apex atall. Save the worrying and free up a space on your power bar. You can get individual outlets from Auto Aqua that will shut off the heaters if a certain temp is reached. These perform independent of the Apex which is nice as well and from there literature there max wattage is 1100W and 10 Amps....

Great solution.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well there's a consensus. Don't run an outlet that close to the max. I'll stick with the single 600w heater on it and use a second outlet for a 200 or 300w heater.

I really should have known this though. I oversized my DC return pump so that it could run at ~50% speed with the belief that it would last longer with a lighter load on it. Of course the same is true with outlets and circuit breakers.

I appreciate the help and your patience as you walked me through this!

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well there's a consensus. Don't run an outlet that close to the max. I'll stick with the single 600w heater on it and use a second outlet for a 200 or 300w heater.

I really should have known this though. I oversized my DC return pump so that it could run at ~50% speed with the belief that it would last longer with a lighter load on it. Of course the same is true with outlets and circuit breakers.

I appreciate the help and your patience as you walked me through this!
A good decision. Happy reefing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back