BRS refractometer

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
631
Reaction score
759
Location
Cloquet, MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you guys ever use theRefractometer sold by BRS? If so, is it any good? Was looking at getting one to replace my old hydrometer and wondered if any of you guys had experience with the ones BRS sells. Thanks.
 
I have one. It's the only one I have used, so I can't compare it to other brands. It seems to work just fine. Easy to read and use. I calibrate with 35ppt solution every other time I use it. Right or wrong, those are my thoughts.

Brian
 
I have it and it works fine. Bought a cheaper one before it and got really unreliable readings. It helps that it comes with calibration fluid.
 
How do you calibrate them? You just put drops of calibration fluid on the lens and adjust it to 35 ppt? I never used one before.
 
Yes, exactly. My cheaper one I purchased had you use RODI water and set it to 0 ppt. IME calibrating it using a known level close to what your tank is supposed to be eliminates some margin of error. I never used a hydrometer but I hear they can pretty inaccurate due to something obstructing the arm.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new