BRS Test Videos - How to interpret results?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to take a guess at my par values over my tank that’s similar dimensions to the ones tested by BRS in the XR15 Blue vs XR30 Blue test. I’ve attached two screen shots from their testing. First, does anyone know for the first tests what intensity and depth they test at for the lighting tests? I’m guessing it is everything ramped to 100% but not sure if these are points at the bottom of the tank, etc.

Second, for the LPS numbers, they list multiple charts at different depths. Is this traditionally the depth from the top of the water level or below the light? While I try to see if any local reefers has a par meter, I am trying to get an idea as to what my par would be at the sand bed and higher up in the rock work. Given the similar dimensions, you should be able to infer this based on the results here if you were to scale up intensity (assuming a linear scale). Can any experts here chime in?

5A12E7C9-18FD-4FED-8199-C199D05AF260.png 06BF9EA9-1312-40F4-B188-3766A5D45713.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8" off the water line
13" from each edge on 4' tank.
All channels are a t 100% only cut intensity based on coral types.

The left image lists 6,12, 18" depth in the water.. not inc. the 8" height..
14, 20, 26" effective height from light face (hopefully) to sensor.
Pretty sure the right one is at 6" since that is what one would use to determine the spacing to keep most light in the tank and even-ish par L to R . Also at 100% both channels and overall.

Not sure why they would pick that and I'm going off the image at 4:50.
Best guess..
282 on the right comes close to the 146 on the left which is run at 45%
282 x .45 = 127 (146 is close enough)

Personally I'd pick measuring just below the water line and it's possible they did BUT the overall pattern is the same.
Whatever of the 2 heights they picked they probably had a good reason or they don't have a handy dandy template for the sensor at say 1".

It's a good question though.... Maybe ask them.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8" off the water line
13" from each edge on 4' tank.
All channels are a t 100% only cut intensity based on coral types.

The left image lists 6,12, 18" depth in the water.. not inc. the 8" height..
14, 20, 26" effective height from light face (hopefully) to sensor.
Pretty sure the right one is at 6" since that is what one would use to determine the spacing to keep most light in the tank and even-ish par L to R . Also at 100% both channels and overall.

Not sure why they would pick that and I'm going off the image at 4:50.
Best guess..
282 on the right comes close to the 146 on the left which is run at 45%
282 x .45 = 127 (146 is close enough)

Personally I'd pick measuring just below the water line and it's possible they did BUT the overall pattern is the same.
Whatever of the 2 heights they picked they probably had a good reason or they don't have a handy dandy template for the sensor at say 1".

It's a good question though.... Maybe ask them.
Will give it a try. Appreciate the feedback. Ultimately if this is right, I should be in the ballpark for my SPS that are mid/high in the tank running at 66%.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 148 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 188 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.7%
Back