BRS160 two year update: How Zeovit worked for us! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, no issues at all! I've heard the same and even for the Triton Method the recommendation is around 7.0dKH, however I think stability is the real key here. There's still a lot of analysis of calcification rates at various Alkalinity levels to be done. I hope someone in the hobby finds a way to test it ! :)

Not during the life of Zeovit on the BRS160. We followed the system as a whole and opted not to use our carbon. :)

-Randy
The ZEOvit guide also recommends to knead the carbon bag every couple of days. Did you guys follow this as a part of your regular maintenance of the ZEOvit system? It would seem that such a recommendation would imply that perhaps running the carbon in a media reactor would eliminate this need.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ZEOvit guide also recommends to knead the carbon bag every couple of days. Did you guys follow this as a part of your regular maintenance of the ZEOvit system? It would seem that such a recommendation would imply that perhaps running the carbon in a media reactor would eliminate this need.

I'm not sure exactly, as this was setup far before my time at BRS, but I don't doubt that we followed the system pretty closely. Personally, I've never been much of a fan for bags of carbon, especially if you have room for a reactor, but I guess that would make for a pretty awesome BRStv Investigates episode! Bag vs. Reactor carbon! :)

-Randy

josh.j.avila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pohl uses his carbon in a reactor. I can't remember the post on the zeovit forum where he mentions it.

He runs his system a little differently than what the recommendations are in the guide. My guess is that it's because he knows what's in the products and can make adjustments more appropriately than we can.

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly, as this was setup far before my time at BRS, but I don't doubt that we followed the system pretty closely. Personally, I've never been much of a fan for bags of carbon, especially if you have room for a reactor, but I guess that would make for a pretty awesome BRStv Investigates episode! Bag vs. Reactor carbon! :)

-Randy
how about this?

cheers

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about this?

cheers

That is about the type of carbon, not how mesh bag differs from a reactor. The original question stems from Zeovit having a very specific carbon type and implementation requirement.

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is about the type of carbon, not how mesh bag differs from a reactor. The original question stems from Zeovit having a very specific carbon type and implementation requirement.
watch it and you'll see bag vs reactor

josh.j.avila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask what is the purpose of using carbon? Is it to keep the water crisp and clean? In that case another product like coral snow and zeolife are great for this. Aggressive carbon will pull more of the expensive additives we add in out.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask what is the purpose of using carbon? Is it to keep the water crisp and clean? In that case another product like coral snow and zeolife are great for this. Aggressive carbon will pull more of the expensive additives we add in out.

That's a fair point and probably has some solid ring of truth to it. I'm pretty sure the carbon was being used as it is also a part of the Zeovit system. Personally, I've always had carbon in some form or function in my tanks, specifically for the water clarity and as a preventative should some foreign chemicals get into the tank! :)

-Randy

josh.j.avila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fair point and probably has some solid ring of truth to it. I'm pretty sure the carbon was being used as it is also a part of the Zeovit system. Personally, I've always had carbon in some form or function in my tanks, specifically for the water clarity and as a preventative should some foreign chemicals get into the tank! :)

-Randy

Oh no I meant in general when others were mentioning running it in a reactor. I run KZ carbon in my zeovit tank as well.

Morteza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rayan

Why you changed Zeovit method to other method ?

Do you have problems in 160 BRS with Zeovit method ?

Thank you for all your jobs at RBS channel

Hi Rayan / Randy

Please answer to my question my friends .

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rayan / Randy

Please answer to my question my friends .

Hey there!

I don't think I could say it any better than Ryan did in this video! ;) We are excited to try out a new method to gain more knowledge you fellow reefers and the reefing community. :)

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan / Randy, looks like you are using the Vertex 2.0 reactor with about 1.5 (a bag and a 1/2) liters of zeolites on the BRS 160. I'm curious if you guys actually measured your actual water volume or just sized the reactor and zeolites based on the display size? I'm sure you guys consulted with the forums on zeovit.com with any questions, but I'm curious nonetheless. I've recently started Zeovit based on the success you've had with the BRS 160, so I'd like to mimic it as best I can on my 190 gallon mixed reef.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan / Randy, looks like you are using the Vertex 2.0 reactor with about 1.5 (a bag and a 1/2) liters of zeolites on the BRS 160. I'm curious if you guys actually measured your actual water volume or just sized the reactor and zeolites based on the display size? I'm sure you guys consulted with the forums on zeovit.com with any questions, but I'm curious nonetheless. I've recently started Zeovit based on the success you've had with the BRS 160, so I'd like to mimic it as best I can on my 190 gallon mixed reef.

Hey there!

Given the dimensions of the BRS160 tank itself, the tank volume is somewhere around 140gal. After displacement of rock/sand/equipment and the added water volume of the sump, I would guess that there is about 160-ish gallons of total water volume. If I remember correctly, you are right in the reactor and the media. :)

-Randy

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious how the Vertex reactor held up was a mesh or filter bag used with the media to keep it in the plunger section?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious how the Vertex reactor held up was a mesh or filter bag used with the media to keep it in the plunger section?

That reactor is specifically designed to house the media inside without the need for a mesh bag, which is how we used it on the BRS160. Granted some Zeovit media smaller particles got stuck when cleaning, all-in-all it worked as intended and successfully for us.

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @randyBRS quick question for you and apologies if you've answered it already. In watching the 'set-up and progression of the BRS160' (sorry couldn't resist), @Ryanbrs mentioned prior to the switch to Triton, he really liked the little blue bottles and the results Zeovit had on the BRS160. After having the BRS160 on the Triton method now for some time, what is your and @Ryanbrs feeling on each of these methods? Which one do you like more (from a convenience perspective) and which do you like more for overall coral growth and coloration? Lastly, which method (excluding water changes as part of the system, 10% weekly with Zeovit and 'as needed' with Triton) would each of you prefer why?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @randyBRS quick question for you and apologies if you've answered it already. In watching the 'set-up and progression of the BRS160' (sorry couldn't resist), @Ryanbrs mentioned prior to the switch to Triton, he really liked the little blue bottles and the results Zeovit had on the BRS160. After having the BRS160 on the Triton method now for some time, what is your and @Ryanbrs feeling on each of these methods? Which one do you like more (from a convenience perspective) and which do you like more for overall coral growth and coloration? Lastly, which method (excluding water changes as part of the system, 10% weekly with Zeovit and 'as needed' with Triton) would each of you prefer why?

Both reef keeping methods have their merits and I'd honestly say it comes down to your personal choice for method of reef keeping. Proponents of the Zeovit method say they enjoy the daily interaction with their tanks, with dosing, maintenance and testing; while those in favor of Triton enjoy the more hands-off approach with occasional maintenance and testing.

I can't say with certainty that one method is producing, or has produced, more growth or coloration than the other as we have had success with both and to my personal eye, it seems the same to me. The BRS160, regardless of what method we were using, has always seemed to ebb and flow in either growth or coloration. Sometimes I look at the tank and am amazed by the deep colors and lack of brown-town, while other times the color may take a back seat to how much the growth has seemed to explode! I've experienced this same phenomenon during each method.

Personally, I'm the type of reefer who enjoys the more hands-off approach so Triton really speaks to the way I like to keep a tank. Your preferences may be different. :)

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both reef keeping methods have their merits and I'd honestly say it comes down to your personal choice for method of reef keeping. Proponents of the Zeovit method say they enjoy the daily interaction with their tanks, with dosing, maintenance and testing; while those in favor of Triton enjoy the more hands-off approach with occasional maintenance and testing.

I can't say with certainty that one method is producing, or has produced, more growth or coloration than the other as we have had success with both and to my personal eye, it seems the same to me. The BRS160, regardless of what method we were using, has always seemed to ebb and flow in either growth or coloration. Sometimes I look at the tank and am amazed by the deep colors and lack of brown-town, while other times the color may take a back seat to how much the growth has seemed to explode! I've experienced this same phenomenon during each method.

Personally, I'm the type of reefer who enjoys the more hands-off approach so Triton really speaks to the way I like to keep a tank. Your preferences may be different. :)

Randy, this is an old post I came across but have a question. Moving toward starting Zeovit on my 125 that has been setup in some form for 10 years but a little concerned about dino’s and other problematic issues. I currently run an emperor UV and never have had these issues. They state not to use UV and I know Carbon dosing can cause this. Did you guys have to deal with these issues on Zeovit?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, this is an old post I came across but have a question. Moving toward starting Zeovit on my 125 that has been setup in some form for 10 years but a little concerned about dino’s and other problematic issues. I currently run an emperor UV and never have had these issues. They state not to use UV and I know Carbon dosing can cause this. Did you guys have to deal with these issues on Zeovit?

I believe the concern with running UV while on a carbon dosing approach like Zeovit is related to the bacterial balance within the tank, specifically to the bacteria additives being added and them passing through the sterilizer while free floating in the water column. I can say that throughout our entire use of the Zeovit Method on the BRS160 we did not run UV and never did have an issue with bacterial "pests" like dinos or cyano. I can't imagine that these will never be an issue, but I don't believe that reefers are at a more elevated risk of running into them because of a specific method or approach.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back