High Barium and Zeovit Media

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a major issue but I thought I should put it out there. I am suspecting zeovit media to be the cause of high barium in my icp test results. When I first noticed that I had high barium I do as one does and search R2R for answers. I stumbled across two other posts that mentioned they had high barium and also use the zeovit method. I looked back an noticed my barium spike correlated with the addition of the zeovit media right at the beginning of July.

I removed the zeovit media and ran my system with out it for roughly 2 weeks and sent out the most recent icp test. The result appeared to be a nice drop in barium. It is not a serious issue IMO as other searches showed many reefers have had high levels with no ill effects to coral but in the pursuit of perfection I just thought I would show what I found. I am still not 100% sure but I do not recall changing any other aspect of my tank operations. The first batch of zeovit media was from KZ. I just put new zeovit media but this time it is from Aquaforest. Not sure if that will make a difference but I will try to update here on my next icp test. As a note I will be switching to triton icp tests in the future.

If you use zeovit media and have done an icp tests recently with a fresh batch please share your results. For all I know this could be part of the zeovit process in making some zeovit tank magic :thinking-face:

barium2.jpg

barium3.jpg

OP
OP
Moe K

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this I also did an ATI icp test to confirm. Test results received Sept 19, 2023. So it was about 2 days later after looking for answers that I removed the zeovit. Roughly Sept 21-23. Somewhere in there.
barium.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

I agree that I don't think barium is a big concern even if somewhat elevated, but there may be some toxic effects at several hundred ug/L.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am suspecting zeovit media to be the cause of high barium in my icp test results.
Some additional information about Barium:
1697127483861.jpeg

Out of curiosity did you use different foods as well?
Also did you switch activated carbon type?

Regardless interesting about Zeovit…

OP
OP
Moe K

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity did you use different foods as well?
Also did you switch activated carbon type?

Regardless interesting about Zeovit…
I feed SA Hatchery Diet pellets every other day and frozen mysis daily. I use BRS Rox .8 monthly for about 1 week and remove it. There was a bag of Rox carbon running on the tank when I pulled the last icp sample.

This investigation is still ongoing and will try to update after the next icp with AF zeovit. When it is time to replace the AF I may try again with KZ brand. They look identical except the AF zeolites appear to be a little cleaner meaning they didnt have much small rubble as the KZ brand did. For all I know they come from the same place.

I am also going to go in with a little skepticism about the zeolites adding enough barium to be harmful or if at all as the tanks I have seen use it obviously have no issues in growing fantastic corals. This is why I hope to hear from others running zeovit that have done some recent icp tests.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Yes, zeolithes leach significant barium. You can see some data from our investigation posted already in 2019:

Best regards,
Christoph

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Yes, zeolithes leach significant barium. You can see some data from our investigation posted already in 2019:

Best regards,
Christoph
Wow, thank you Christoph for the article. That is interesting…

So since the article is from 2019 does this apply:
1697145625925.jpeg

or is there additional recommendations?
I believe most media have a note to rinse them before use.
So soaking you mean for an hour, day etc…

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1697145625925.jpeg

I soak mine in ro for about a hour before filling my reactor up.. sunny x gave me that tip.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1697145625925.jpeg

we did not investigate how fast the majority of barium is released, so i cant answer that with certainty. But several hours to one day should be a reasonable timespan.

All the best,
Christoph

OP
OP
Moe K

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Best regards,
Christoph

Wow. Thank you for confirming. I will better rinse mine from now on. My mistake I did not search harder for this information. It must have passed me by being in German.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back